Render Passes?

Forums: Render Passes?
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Render Passes?

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:30 am

Rikk The Gaijin Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:30 am
I just installed Octane 2021 for Maya, what happened to the Render Passes node? It has been removed???
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Render Passes?

Postby elsksa » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:26 pm

elsksa Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:26 pm
Hi,

In spite of the fact that I am not an Octane-Maya user, Octane 2021 received a new AOV system. It was announced here: https://home.otoy.com/octanerender-2021-rndr, also worth consulting: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=78621.
In Octane Standalone, which I exclusively use, both are available. Perhaps not for the plugins, for various implementation reasons, conceivably.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:55 am

Rikk The Gaijin Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:55 am
Oh, thx I haven't use Octane in a while, I'll check it out.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:17 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:17 am
I can't figure out how to render out the Ambient Occlusion pass using the AOV thingy.
I have created an AOV input and put a "Octane Output Aov Render" node into it.
In the Render Pass dropdown menu I select "Ambient Occlusion"
Then from the IPR window, there is a dropdown menu on the left, by default is set to "Beauty" so I changed it to "Output AOV 1" but it's black.
And it's black even if I try to render out other passes, like Diffuse or Wireframe, etc. It's always black.
what am I doing wrong?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:38 pm

BK Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:38 pm
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:I can't figure out how to render out the Ambient Occlusion pass using the AOV thingy.
I have created an AOV input and put a "Octane Output Aov Render" node into it.
In the Render Pass dropdown menu I select "Ambient Occlusion"
Then from the IPR window, there is a dropdown menu on the left, by default is set to "Beauty" so I changed it to "Output AOV 1" but it's black.
And it's black even if I try to render out other passes, like Diffuse or Wireframe, etc. It's always black.
what am I doing wrong?

Hi Rikk,

Thank you for the post.
For render passes we use the *Render AOV Group*>Create New> Add AOV input then add the AOV/passes.
The Output AOV group is when we wish to create our own custom AOV using the rendered AOVs. It's like a compositor app :D

Please find the attached file to refer
AOSample.zip
(9.79 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:11 am

Rikk The Gaijin Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:11 am
Thank you BK. I actually never noticed that there were two AOV settings, "Render AOV" and "Output AOV". I always assumed there was only the Output one.

One problem tho. The AOV pass of the Ambient Occlusion does not have the option to include the Normal Map or Bump in the calculation, like it has in the Info Channel.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:52 am

BK Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:52 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Thank you BK. I actually never noticed that there were two AOV settings, "Render AOV" and "Output AOV". I always assumed there was only the Output one.

One problem tho. The AOV pass of the Ambient Occlusion does not have the option to include the Normal Map or Bump in the calculation, like it has in the Info Channel.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Hi Rikk,

thank you so much for noticing this.
Yes, we can render all the Octane Passes from the Render AOVs and use the Output AOV to composite the rendered passes/AOV to assemble a custom AOV.
We got confirmation that we would be adding an option to the ambient occlusion AOV for bump and normal mapping.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:27 am

abstrax Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:27 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:Thank you BK. I actually never noticed that there were two AOV settings, "Render AOV" and "Output AOV". I always assumed there was only the Output one.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

That was an oversight from me. We will add an option to toggle bump/normal mapping for the ambient occlusion AOV in 2021.1.4.

Until then, if you add another AOV that has this option (i.e. shading normals or texture tangent), or just simply the tangent normal AOV, the ambient occlusion AOV will also be rendered with bump/normal mapping.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:45 am

Rikk The Gaijin Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:45 am
Thank you BK and Abstrax!
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk Maya