Manual (ACES)

Forums: Manual (ACES)
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Manual (ACES)

Postby Maskeline » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:26 pm

Maskeline Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:26 pm
Hello.
I don't know if I'm looking in the right place, but on the web the last manual there is (for octane standalone) is for version 2020.1, published 1 year ago.
I needed a manual for version 2020.2, to see how ACES works.
Most of the projects we are currently working on are based on ACES and when we try to implement it in our octane pipeline, it doesn't work and we need to know what we are doing wrong.
Thanks!
Maskeline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Manual (ACES)

Postby elsksa » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:27 am

elsksa Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:27 am
Hi Maskeline,

It would be informative to specify what does not work exactly. Could you share more information?
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Maskeline » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:19 pm

Maskeline Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:19 pm
We use ACES in other software (e.g. Nuke and Da Vinci), and our entire pipeline is structured around ACES.
It is difficult for me to explain what doesn't work, because I don't understand how it works in octane (that's why I wanted the manual)...
Roughly speaking, ACES is a color management system that allows you to have the same preview in all the software that uses it... That presupposes a render color space (ACES 2065-1) and a preview space (in maya in the render view)...
I have not been able to preview in ACES sRGB in octane with maya... And there are several places (with several nodes) where to look.
- In the render globals; where I have even loaded an ACES 1.1 file... config.ocio
- In the imager; There are Ocio look and Ocio view, but I have not managed to connect it well (I guess, because I do not see the desired result)...
In other software there is a workflow document for ACES...
I have only found a Cinema 4D video where it is explained... But the plugin integration is different and I can't configure it.
In conclusion, what I need is a manual (to see how it works and how to configure it in octane for maya and in octane standalone) or an explanatory video with a practical case...
Like this one from Cinema4D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TU6OeONDcA
Maskeline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:13 pm

elsksa Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:13 pm
I am not an Octane Maya user, I assume that the version you have is matching the latest Octane Standalone stable release? I will double check later.

If so, theoretically, OCIO should be fully supported for Octane-Maya. I can share the ACES in Octane documentation I wrote if you are interested, only privately though, for the time being. Could you message me on the OTOY forum? Or if you have Discord, for a more real-time communication: ELSKSA#4465.

ACES, being a color encoding system, has the ACEScg (AP1) which is the recommended linear scene-referred color space for rasterized rendered image (OpenEXR) - ACES 2065-1 (AP0) is the recommended color space for interchange (e.g between departments), archiving and would normally require ACES-EXR metadata (i.e in Nuke).

Beware that the majority of online ACES content is misinforming. Especially on popular social networks/video platforms such as YouTube.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 am

BK Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 am
Maskeline wrote:Hello.
I don't know if I'm looking in the right place, but on the web the last manual there is (for octane standalone) is for version 2020.1, published 1 year ago.
I needed a manual for version 2020.2, to see how ACES works.
Most of the projects we are currently working on are based on ACES and when we try to implement it in our octane pipeline, it doesn't work and we need to know what we are doing wrong.
Thanks!

hi Maskeline,

Apologies for the late reply.
We are currently working on the Standalone manual and will be uploaded sometime this week.

Regarding the render results, would you please share the screenshots here or PM me the render results?

Also, please confirm if the workflow is the same,

- Load OCIO configs from the Octane>OCIO rollout
MayaOCIO1.png

- hook up the OCIO View and the OCIO look node on the Imager node
MayaOCIO2.png

- we can load the color profiles from the OCIO view node
MayaOCIO3.png

- please follow the steps for the render outputs
MayaOCIO4.png

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Maskeline » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 pm

Maskeline Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:06 pm
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation....
It is working well.
Maskeline
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 pm

BK Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:33 pm
Maskeline wrote:Thank you very much for the detailed explanation....
It is working well.

Hi Maskeline,

Thank you for letting us know it's working well.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pippojasper » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:00 am

pippojasper Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:00 am
Is this ACES workflow still valid in Otoy version 2023.1.1 22.10?
pippojasper
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:11 pm

BK Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:11 pm
pippojasper wrote:Is this ACES workflow still valid in Otoy version 2023.1.1 22.10?

Hi pippojasper,

Thank you for the post.

Recent changes due to Maya Render view buffer limitation.
Once we set the Image format to EXR, then the Octane View would work from the *Select OCIO color space* field.
ExrCM.png

Please let us know if this works!

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk Maya