Make far away texture/color different than near the camera

Forums: Make far away texture/color different than near the camera
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Make far away texture/color different than near the camera

Postby coilbook » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 am

coilbook Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 am
Hi,
We have a large terrain and it must have brown dirt because we'll be using real grass but far away we want that terrain to be green so we don't have to add real 3d grass and make it look like it is grass far away.

So basically farther away you are from the camera greener the terrain becomes. Is it even possible? Thanks
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Make far away texture/color different than near the camera

Postby elsksa » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:56 pm

elsksa Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:56 pm
Hi, without knowing all the details, I would personally suggest to take a different approach than attempting to "link" the shading to the Camera Distance.

For a still image, perhaps, for a sequence or a series of rendered stills with a varying framing, it wouldn't yield a plausible result and would require manual adjustments each time.

There are numerous terrain texturing/shading approaches, each with a different workflow.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:42 pm

coilbook Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:42 pm
elsksa wrote:Hi, without knowing all the details, I would personally suggest to take a different approach than attempting to "link" the shading to the Camera Distance.

For a still image, perhaps, for a sequence or a series of rendered stills with a varying framing, it wouldn't yield a plausible result and would require manual adjustments each time.

There are numerous terrain texturing/shading approaches, each with a different workflow.

Hi,
I attached the scene. I tried falloff method. Kind of what I need but I don't need to change color when camera tilts though.

Also dirt texture. But the cone that generates dirt texture can cast shadows if alpha shadows are off. I wish octane allowed non renderable objects create dirt marks

Thank you
Attachments
111111111.jpg
gradient.zip
(62.24 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:46 am

paride4331 Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:46 am
Hi coilbook,
Are you using Forest pro? in the Camera panel, you can manage the distributed instances based on the distance from the camera.
Anyway I don't know your need but a simple falloff in amount might help too.
Regards
Paride
Attachments
01.jpg
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max