[Ornatrix] EG Selection issue with Octane material

Forums: [Ornatrix] EG Selection issue with Octane material
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

[Ornatrix] EG Selection issue with Octane material

Postby andrey.krivulya » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:27 am

andrey.krivulya Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:27 am
Hi, dear Otoy team

The point is that when we assign Octane Material in a scene, it stops displaying the selection of guides or hair in Edit Guides.

Video -

Timing:

0:00 - Creating the plane
0:04 - Applying Furball
0:11 - Create Edit Guides on top of HFG
0:20 - Turn on Display Strand Selection
0:28 - Turn on Hide Guide Gizmo
0:30 - Check Selection and see that everything is working
0:37 - Activate Octane Renderer
0:45 - Check the selection and see that everything is okay.
0:50 - Try to assign Octane Hair Material
0:57 - We see that the selection has disappeared
1:12 - Assign any other Octane material and the selection still doesn't work
1:19 - Activate Arnold Render and assign Arnold Standard Hair
1:31 - Selection visible again
1:37 - Select Octane
1:42 - Selection works as long as the Arnold Shader is assigned
1:44 - Assign Octane Hair again and see that the selection has stopped working

Steps:

- Create plane
- Apply Furball
- Add EG Above HFG
- Turn on "Display Selection"
- Select a few hairs and you will see selection
- Select Octane Render
- Apply any Octane Render material and you will see that selection won't work

Ornatrix 7.4.1.31744 [Nightly], 3ds max 2023, Octane 2022.1 - 13.12

Thank you and have a great day
Best regards
Andrew.
win 10 /64x Intel Core i9-11980HK - 64Gb RAM - 3080 Laptop - 16Gb VRAM - AERO 15 OLED YD

My youtube channel with 3d tutorials ----- >>>> https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewKrivulya
andrey.krivulya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: [Ornatrix] EG Selection issue with Octane material

Postby neonZorglub » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:49 am

neonZorglub Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:49 am
Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your video and the detailed steps.
I could see and reproduce the issue.

It seems to be a bug in Ornatrix.
I tried with various materials, and the problem appear when the assigned material has 1 or more sub-materials.
Ornatrix seems to have issues choosing a selection color different from the un-selected color..

For example the same issue happens with Standard Blend, Composite, Multi/Sub-Object, Arnold Matte, etc..
And there is no issue with the Octane materials not using sub materials: Shadow catcher, Portal material, all 'layer' materials (although not quite usable as hair material !)

Interestingly, the Octane 'Layer Group' material works fine when you remove all layers (resulting in 0 sub material), but the issue appear when you add 1 layer..

In the case of this example with your described steps, disabling 'Hide Guides Gizmo' seems to fix the issue, showing the selection in yellow.
But in some other scenes, it doesn't seems to work, and I couldn't find any work around, other than temporarily assigning a simple standard material while you edit the Ox Guides..

I hope that helps.
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby andrey.krivulya » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:18 pm

andrey.krivulya Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:18 pm
neonZorglub wrote:Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your video and the detailed steps.
I could see and reproduce the issue.

It seems to be a bug in Ornatrix.
I tried with various materials, and the problem appear when the assigned material has 1 or more sub-materials.
Ornatrix seems to have issues choosing a selection color different from the un-selected color..

For example the same issue happens with Standard Blend, Composite, Multi/Sub-Object, Arnold Matte, etc..
And there is no issue with the Octane materials not using sub materials: Shadow catcher, Portal material, all 'layer' materials (although not quite usable as hair material !)

Interestingly, the Octane 'Layer Group' material works fine when you remove all layers (resulting in 0 sub material), but the issue appear when you add 1 layer..

In the case of this example with your described steps, disabling 'Hide Guides Gizmo' seems to fix the issue, showing the selection in yellow.
But in some other scenes, it doesn't seems to work, and I couldn't find any work around, other than temporarily assigning a simple standard material while you edit the Ox Guides..

I hope that helps.
Thanks

Hi, @neonZorglub

Thank you so much for being so detailed and understanding about the issue. I will pass on your message to the Ornatrix developers. And in my new tutorial on the subject - I'll mention it too =)

So I will demand a solution from Ephere =) In the meantime, use your method or temporarily assign Arnold to see everything.

Hide Guides Gizmo is not the case =) They on the contrary prevent to see the selection of hair. The main thing here is to see the selection of "polygons" hair in red =) This is the convenience...

Well, I think the developers will solve it somehow... Maybe the problem is in 3ds max itself, as I was told in another similar thread, when I wrote to Otoy Support.

Since this issue still extends to hair coloring... That is, we don't see the color when we use Octane Hair Material or regular Octane.

In general, I will fight with the developers of Autodesk and Ephere =)

Thank you again.

I'll post here when I have news =)

Keep in touch.

Have a great day
Best regards,
Andrew.
win 10 /64x Intel Core i9-11980HK - 64Gb RAM - 3080 Laptop - 16Gb VRAM - AERO 15 OLED YD

My youtube channel with 3d tutorials ----- >>>> https://www.youtube.com/c/AndrewKrivulya
andrey.krivulya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andrey.krivulya » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:23 pm

andrey.krivulya Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:23 pm
The interesting thing is that assigning a normal standard material - it solved the issue with selection, but didn't solve the issue with color display =) Ok. I will create another topic for this issue... I think I should do this =) To help users understand how to work with this.

andrey.krivulya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andrey.krivulya » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:54 pm

andrey.krivulya Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:54 pm
So, a temporary solution - when we want to see a selection - use Octane Shadow Catcher, Octane Portal or Standard Scanline Material =) As you said =) Hope Autodesk and Ephere will find a solution to fix Octane Hair Material

andrey.krivulya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andrey.krivulya » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:55 pm

andrey.krivulya Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:55 pm
I created another topic with a similar issue - viewtopic.php?f=27&t=80945

andrey.krivulya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby andrey.krivulya » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:14 pm

andrey.krivulya Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:14 pm

andrey.krivulya
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max