Volumetric Fog Questions.

Forums: Volumetric Fog Questions.
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Volumetric Fog Questions.

Postby leallolo » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:43 pm

leallolo Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:43 pm
Hello Octane Friends!

Im a new user, experimenting and having a blast using the engine, I need to admit I have a crush on Octane.

One of the things that really pulled me into it was the fast and beautiful volumetrics.

I have been struggling a little bit to fully understand what are the "best practices" to archive certain results.

For example, I have a few precise questions.

================================================

1. What is the best way to add fog to a NON-SUNLINT Scene. ( I know how to add volumetric fog to my scene using daylight sunlight or volume spotlight.)
what I'm looking for is something similar to the "Fog Volume Object" that I can see is available in c4d. The particular use is for something like an underground scene or Interior

2. the second question is related to how or what is the best way to map a 3d noise into that Volume

Thanks so much for any guidance!
Daniel Schmid
leallolo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Volumetric Fog Questions.

Postby elsksa » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:49 pm

elsksa Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:49 pm
Hi Daniel,

This might come handy: https://www.elsksa.me/scientia/cgi-offline-rendering/octane-render-volumes, although it covers the subject from the Standalone perspective, all of it should be applicable to any Octane-plugins, at the slight difference of how the plugin has been implemented, which may subtlety differ from a 3D DCC to an other.

Regarding the "volume displacement", if that's the question, the "sample position displacement" would be worth to explore. There is an example of it at the end of the first message from this thread: https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72221
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max