Camera Visibility Settings

Forums: Camera Visibility Settings
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Camera Visibility Settings

Postby ianvalentine » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:00 am

ianvalentine Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:00 am
Hi there!

I was trying to figure out how to turn off camera visibility for certain objects in a scene. For example, I have a flame simulation baked out to VDB. To get the proper level of brightness on the flame itself, I have to turn the emission down quite a bit. This however makes the emitted light quite dim, and barely illuminates the environment. I'd like to render two passes, one with the emission cranked up for the surrounding environment, and another where it is turned down for the flame itself, then I can composite the two for a nice balance.

I can't however figure out how to turn off camera visibility for the volume. In C4D, this can be accomplished via adding an Object tag to the volume and disabling camera visibility. Are those options available in the 3DS Max environment?
ianvalentine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Camera Visibility Settings

Postby paride4331 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 am

paride4331 Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:04 am
Hi ianvalentine,
you have many ways to get what you wan; you can use Render Layer:
https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=69843&start=30#p353162
You can use Object proprierties:
select object> rightclickmouse> Object proprierties> hide to camera.
Personally I would put an invisible light, perhaps with an animated noise, to illuminate the environment and simulate fire.
This allows you to make a single render and have correct ambient light and fire.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max