Rendering many layers into a single exr?

Forums: Rendering many layers into a single exr?
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Rendering many layers into a single exr?

Postby Norman_Stansfield » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Norman_Stansfield Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:24 pm
As in the subject. Is this possible in Octane for 3dsmax? Render Layer (and its ID) button hides all other layers than the active ID. But do I have to render separate tiff sequences for each layer (f.e. 4 x 6300 frames) or is there a way to write all layers into one exr frame and switch them on/off in compositing software? Similar like psd file in photoshop...
Norman_Stansfield
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Rendering many layers into a single exr?

Postby paride4331 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:21 am

paride4331 Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:21 am
Hi Norman_Stansfield,
I hope it helps.
Regards
Paride
Attachments
exr.jpg
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby SergKlyosov » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:46 am

SergKlyosov Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:46 am
Hi Paride,

I've already asked the same question as a topic caster
But, how I can use workflow which you wrote above - using Octane Viewport?
It is saving all render passes separately, instead of one solid EXR with all layers inside

I've recorded a video to show the issue

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAzTmu1UJo
Win 10 64 | RTX 3090 | i9 9980XE | 64GB RAM
SergKlyosov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DartFrog » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:51 pm

DartFrog Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:51 pm
@Paride,

I think Norman was asking specifically about the Render Layers, not really the passes. He wants to render Render Layer 1 and Render Layer 2 at the same time, but they'd go into different layers once in photoshop - all with an EXR. So it makes masking easier. This is somewhat related to my post (unanswered) about Render Layers and that they show through to the background on their edges.
DartFrog
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Norman_Stansfield » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am

Norman_Stansfield Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 am
paride4331 wrote:Hi Norman_Stansfield,
I hope it helps.
Regards
Paride

1. Thanks paride, it's not exactly what i ask about :) I gave photoshop as an example for "all layers in one file" workflow. In reality I work with sequences of exr's in after effects. For exr extraction in After Effects should I set up the same options in exr config windows as you provided in photoshop case? In example above, render elements are here not necessary, but somehow these are visible on your screenshot. I am interested in layers only. Like first ball is layer 1 beauty, second one is layer 2 beauty and so on, and floor is a layer 5. I need them stacked in after effects as a multi layered composition with acess to each layer independently (similar like in photoshop). No render elements are required here. Just layers.

2. Separately of that question there is another one: How to use Render Layer ID/object ID element, by the way? Masking by color in nuke or after effects in post isn't accurate. Especially if renderer sets the color ID of different objects very similar. How do you guys work with these very basic features in post-production

Best,
nl
Norman_Stansfield
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby richardyarlett » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:16 pm

richardyarlett Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:16 pm
I just posted on this 2 mins ago. It is NOT POSSIBLE to do all in one go around. They recommend use LAYER ID and OBJECT ID to render layer passes out separately, but you as and I both know that is super slow and dumb. We want 8 objects, all rendered out in one frame, but with 8 separate sub layers of each beauty pass PER OBJECT. I used to use PSD MANAGER to do this with VRAY. But it does not currently work with OCTANE.

In 2018.1 they are moving over to the new CRYPTOMATTE technology which will totally rewrite the rules for layers and render elements etc and you should be able to extract whatever you want. But until then, there seems to be now why to do this in a single pass.

The best workflow right now is just render a normal full beauty pass and then use the object or material id pass to pull them out onto separate layers in After Effects using the "linear color key" effect.
richardyarlett
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tcheng00 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:40 pm

tcheng00 Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:40 pm
Cyptomatte is the best method for getting out mattes to control your compositing. If you need to render out a specific object(s) with all the raytracing effects from your surrounding, but keep your surrounding matte black, activate Render Layer Setup.

Capture.JPG

Details on how to use it can be found in the manual here -

https://docs.otoy.com/3DSMaxH/3DSMaxPlu ... Layers.htm

all.jpg

1.jpg
1.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

3.jpg
tcheng00
Octane Guru
Octane Guru