Toon Shader

Forums: Toon Shader
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Toon Shader

Postby marcjday » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

marcjday Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm
Hi Otoy....

I'm confused - instead of making a bit of effort so that the engine sees octane scenes and just renders them in a 'toon' style (like all other renderers) - we have to apply completely new shaders, use new lights, and new cameras? and only with curved organic objects?

Am I getting something wrong? Instead of octane making a bit of effort so that thousands of customers can create toon renders easily with all of their gigabytes of assets (edited twice for the 'calibration' farce).. .. you expect them to each edit everything to suit the renderer? I make a scene - using multiple assets xref'd in or scatterd about (let's say 100 assets - people, trees, cars, furniture... . most with mutliple parts - multiple materials - multiple textures) - and my client asks for a toon render of it. .. .. . you want me to save a new version of everything - relink it in - rescatter it - relight it .... . instead of you putting a single tick box in the render menu?

I'm sincerely hoping that I'm wrong with this one.
marcjday
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Toon Shader

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Goldorak Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:58 pm
marcjday wrote:Hi Otoy....

I'm confused - instead of making a bit of effort so that the engine sees octane scenes and just renders them in a 'toon' style (like all other renderers) - we have to apply completely new shaders, use new lights, and new cameras? and only with curved organic objects?

Am I getting something wrong? Instead of octane making a bit of effort so that thousands of customers can create toon renders easily with all of their gigabytes of assets (edited twice for the 'calibration' farce).. .. you expect them to each edit everything to suit the renderer? I make a scene - using multiple assets xref'd in or scatterd about (let's say 100 assets - people, trees, cars, furniture... . most with mutliple parts - multiple materials - multiple textures) - and my client asks for a toon render of it. .. .. . you want me to save a new version of everything - relink it in - rescatter it - relight it .... . instead of you putting a single tick box in the render menu?

I'm sincerely hoping that I'm wrong with this one.

Behind the scenes we would need a toon material anyway - clay mode in Octane is actually overriding the materials and so on. We could do that in a script or module. Is this something others would find useful?
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max