UVW tiling nightmare

Forums: UVW tiling nightmare
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

UVW tiling nightmare

Postby Moonhowl » Thu May 03, 2018 11:10 am

Moonhowl Thu May 03, 2018 11:10 am
Hi,

I've created a fairly simple mix material with 2 grass variations and wanted to use either a procedural map (noise, turbulence) or a greyscale image to drive the mix in the "amount" channel.

However, no matter what I do, I can not scale the mask texture independently. It seems locked to uvw map channel 1. I've tried everything from using the transform nodes to using the "Mesh uvw" node and setting it to "2" and adding another uvw map modifier and setting that to "2".

Just needed a simple map channel selector (1, 2, 3) in the map options for YEARS now....why are you guys trying to reinvent the bloody wheel all the time?!

Thanks!
Asus V Extreme motherboard, i7-5930K CPU, 32 GB DDR4 Quad Channel RAM, 3x Nvidia Geforce 1080ti, Windows 7 Ultimate 64, 3DS Max 2019 64
Moonhowl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: UVW tiling nightmare

Postby paride4331 » Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am

paride4331 Fri May 04, 2018 9:42 am
Hi Moonhowl,
could you share a sample 3dsmax archive with your issue please?
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: UVW tiling nightmare

Postby Moonhowl » Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Moonhowl Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 pm
Paride thanks but never mind, I did some more exploring and came across a post where Otoy staff members explains that they have like 3 uvw channels available and they can't do multi-uv channel support. So I'm using transforms which is ok but not as practical or accurate in some instances as the traditional multi-uv channel map workflow using multiple uvw map modifiers.

The reason my procedural maps were all "locked to channel 1" was because the uvw map on the object was a certain size and did not encompass the entire object.

If you want to be multi-mapping using transform nodes with octane materials to fix size of different maps on the same object, the initial uvw map modifier needs to be large enough to allow for that. So probably just big enough to encompass the entire object. Then you can use transform controls within that uvw space.

I still think it's a pain in the butt tho I hope Otoy have a really good reason for this.
Asus V Extreme motherboard, i7-5930K CPU, 32 GB DDR4 Quad Channel RAM, 3x Nvidia Geforce 1080ti, Windows 7 Ultimate 64, 3DS Max 2019 64
Moonhowl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max