OSL textures

Forums: OSL textures
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Re: OSL textures

Postby Rik » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Rik Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:59 pm
Sorry, don't understand a word of that.

Is OSL just for guys who code?

We need a repository of the OSL tools which have been coded, similar to the materials library.

I'd have thought Otoy would be making loads of these and setting up a database with instructions on how to use them.
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:20 pm

frankmci Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:20 pm
Rik wrote:Sorry, don't understand a word of that.

Is OSL just for guys who code?

We need a repository of the OSL tools which have been coded, similar to the materials library.

I'd have thought Otoy would be making loads of these and setting up a database with instructions on how to use them.

I think OSL is one of those things that was supposed to be "develop once, deploy across every platform", but it never actually worked that way, just like HTML, java, etc. Nobody actually makes their platform stick to the specs, adding their own tweaks and "enhancements" along the way, so unless the person developing content for that platform is SUPER careful and limits themselves to only what is universal, there's a very good chance whatever they make will break in any other environment. And even if they do limit themselves to the specs, some other platform may not interpret them properly.

Creating and enforcing standards is very hard.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rik » Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am

Rik Wed May 23, 2018 10:09 am
All I want is to be able to use Vizpark Crossmap with Octane.

https://www.vizpark.com/shop/crossmap/

Why has it worked with Scanline, Mental Ray, vray and Corona Renderer for years and years but still not Octane?

Wasn't the amazing release of V3 supposed to make this sort of thing possible? Yet here comes V4 and still doesn't work.

Organisation, descriptions and tutorials are woefully lacking for OSL. It seems to be bits of code scattered around various forums here with the occasional link to Github which is a coding site.

For years I've been reading how OSL will really turn things around for Octane. Seems like you've stopped the implementation of OSL at 98% and just left the remaining 2% up to coders to finish.
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ramone163 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:10 am

ramone163 Wed May 23, 2018 11:10 am
Rik wrote:All I want is to be able to use Vizpark Crossmap with Octane.

https://www.vizpark.com/shop/crossmap/

Why has it worked with Scanline, Mental Ray, vray and Corona Renderer for years and years but still not Octane?

Wasn't the amazing release of V3 supposed to make this sort of thing possible? Yet here comes V4 and still doesn't work.

Organisation, descriptions and tutorials are woefully lacking for OSL. It seems to be bits of code scattered around various forums here with the occasional link to Github which is a coding site.

For years I've been reading how OSL will really turn things around for Octane. Seems like you've stopped the implementation of OSL at 98% and just left the remaining 2% up to coders to finish.

Totaly agree. OTOY, are you going to move forward with OSL?
GPU: 980+1080+1080Ti; 3ds max;
Behance portfolio; Handmadefont.com;
ramone163
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rik » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Rik Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:40 pm
Paride, any new info/instructions/database for OSL tools?
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max