Baking Textures with Two Meshes

Forums: Baking Textures with Two Meshes
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Baking Textures with Two Meshes

Postby ianvalentine » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 am

ianvalentine Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 am
Hi there!

I have a question that I can't quite work out myself and wanted to see if anyone here had any input. I have a mesh in my scene that I am doing texture baking on to generate some unwrapped image sequences. This mesh has properly layed out UVs and looks correct in the render. However, I have a second mesh which is essentially an animated set of thin lines which "scan" over the surface. These lines are basically just extruded wires which are clamped to the surface, and set up with an emissive material. My problem is that when I bake, I can only see the light those meshes are casting onto the surface of my UVd mesh (obvious behavior, as it is the object with the baking ID currently being rendered), however what I would like to do is essentially trace the scene using this same baked layout, without excluding objects that rest in front of the UVd mesh. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Many thanks :)

Ian
ianvalentine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Baking Textures with Two Meshes

Postby paride4331 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 pm

paride4331 Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:52 pm
Hi ianvalentine,
you should use diffuse filter material pass; in Octane 3dsMax is "diffuse filter (info)".
Regards
Paride
Attachments
01.jpg
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby ianvalentine » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 pm

ianvalentine Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 pm
paride4331 wrote:Hi ianvalentine,
you should use diffuse filter material pass; in Octane 3dsMax is "diffuse filter (info)".
Regards
Paride

Hey Paride,

Wow this looks like exactly what I want, just to confirm, this method works even if the emissive mesh is separate from the mesh being baked? I am having some issues seeing the lines within the baked render (in diffuse filter or the regular baked view).

Thank you!
ianvalentine
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:55 am

paride4331 Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:55 am
Hi ianvalentine,
I think your issue depends on unwrap not being diffuse filter, or you should assign the same Baking group ID.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max