Optimize Material - Tips

Forums: Optimize Material - Tips
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Optimize Material - Tips

Postby stir » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:21 pm

stir Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:21 pm
Hey

Its not the first time i am hitting the RAM limit, but its the first time i am stuck with needing to optimize the materials/shaders to get the whole scene in to RAM.
Previously its usually been some dens mesh or something.

So in that regard, i am looking for tips and tricks for what i should look for when optimizing materials in Octane 3Ds max.
Do octane have some features that helps with this?
Is there typical pitfals i might fall inn to?

The first thing im gonna start doing is to see if i am able to downrez some texture maps that might not be in focus from the camera. <--- (Do Octane work with the Asset tracker proxy system? If i tell it to generate a third of the resolution, then turn on "Use proxy map for rendering" will Octane respect that)?

I am also going to go over and see if maps are instanced between different shader <---- (is this any point actualy? or do Octane only load the map once anyway? or load it for each shader?)

Is there any procedurals that might be know to use more RAM then others? might it be a idea to bake down a procedural to a map?

I am realy happy with the look of the shaders at this moment, but gotta do what you gotta do to get it in RAM :)
Any tips appreciated.

Best regards
-Mats
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.stir.no
stir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Optimize Material - Tips

Postby paride4331 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

paride4331 Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm
Hi stir,
With material pass or beauty pass, some node textures (e.g. dirt) need to be bakes.
This happens for 3.06x; with 3.07x you will have a autobake node texture for these needs.
https://docs.otoy.com/StandaloneH/StandaloneManual.htm#Standalone/BakingTexture.htm?Highlight=bake
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max