We are close to leave octane

Forums: We are close to leave octane
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

We are close to leave octane

Postby pump_studio » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 am

pump_studio Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 am
Hi,

We are working with 3dsmax&octane since 3 years now, and I think we are going to look for another rendering software. Octane is wonderful, I think everybody agree with that, but for a company, it's just impossible to work properly. FYI, we are working with 16 licences.

You have to change things right now or you will loose lot of your customers and disappear.

Some big trouble for a studio:

- We can't install update fearless. Every time we have trouble, our render are different with previous version, even with minor update.
- We can't trust your licencing system. We have 16 seats, only 12 computer are working and some of them can't find available licence. This night your scheduled maintenance ( you could send an email, we don't check the forum everyday) have desactivated all of our licences. This morning, I have to pay penality to my customer, because we can't do our rendering. What are you going to do for this?

We aren't octane's tester, you sell a product, not an experience.

Regards,

Yvain Mivielle CEO

Arfmat studio/Pump
pump_studio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: We are close to leave octane

Postby Goldisart » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 am

Goldisart Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 am
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
the joke was over !!!! it's time to work

but you were warned that the server will not work
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=60131
Goldisart
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby win » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 pm

win Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Hi

Thank you for your post.

If you are experiencing any difficulty, please email the Octane Help Desk directly at [email protected] so the team may investigate and resolve the issue.

In reply to your comments;

1. If you have differences in your renders between version updates please provide examples to the Help Desk so these may be fully investigated. Software is now heavily tested prior to deployment and if you are finding differences we need to be aware of what these are. There are also a number of improvements that have been made since v3.03.4 was released in September 2016, so you may want to take a look at recent updates here - viewforum.php?f=80

2. Yesterday's maintenance should not have resulted in "deactivating all of your licenses". Server maintenenace is required from time-to-time on an infrequent basis, and is scheduled at light times to minimise user disruption. To receive emails advising of planned maintenance work please subscribe here - https://status.otoy.com/#

3. If you ever have difficulties accessing licenses, please email the Help Desk [email protected] with a screenshot that shows the error message.

Kind regards, Win
win
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby mojave » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm

mojave Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm
Hi Yvain,

I understand your concerns and apologize for any inconvenience.

pump_studio wrote:We have 16 seats, only 12 computer are working and some of them can't find available licence.

I can see that 2 of your standalone licenses are currently available, note that even though a machine which activated an Octane license may be switched off, the license may still be in use. This can happen if the machine or the software wasn't turned off gracefully or the host application is hanging around, which wouldn't allow Octane to release that license for further use.

You may already be aware that you can manually release those licenses by unlocking them via the website if for some reason the machine using that license is not reachable anymore.

pump_studio wrote:This night your scheduled maintenance ... have desactivated all of our licences

Even when using floating licenses (not offline) the current render continues even when the server is not reachable, so I'd need more information about what exactly happened to your machine, any error messages, screenshots would help to figure out what the issue is, as this would be a general issue and we haven't got any other reports like yours.

pump_studio wrote:you could send an email, we don't check the forum everyday

If you wish to actively receive updates of any server maintenance or downtime so this doesn't happen in the future you can subscribe to updates using our status page, and you'll receive an email every time there's a planned or unplanned update:

https://status.otoy.com/

pump_studio wrote:We can't install update fearless. Every time we have trouble, our render are different with previous version, even with minor update.

We are working on improving our QA process to avoid this kind of issues, and we usually release test builds so users can give us feedback in case the spot any issue in their workflow so hopefully this will be less of an issue in the future.

I really hope you'll continue using Octane as part of your company's pipeline.

Best,
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby marcjday » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:04 pm

marcjday Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:04 pm
I've made the jump and bought V-Ray - a return to the old beast after 3 years of struggling with Octane. Vray RT has really come a long way and is now a production renderer - well it is for me anyway. Everything works - everything just WORKS! And the gigabytes of models I've bought over the years - plants, people, cars, furniture.. . .. I kept the v-ray models... and they all just work. .. they JUST WORK!!!!!!!! Every plugins just WORKS with vray and 3ds max.. . . I've bought phoenix FD. .. . it just works. Everything that I struggled with in Octane. . . it all just works now. I don't have to render for 2 hours to get rid of noisy glass. .. it's smooth almost instantly. .. I can render interiors with loads of lights. .. I can easily control fireflies.. . I can see how much vram it's using - I can dynamically reduce the size of textures.... . it's all fast - I use activeshade to preview - then the production render for final renders.

I'll still follow Octane on the forum. . . see if it fixes so many of the very very very basic things that we all need and which vray gives. .. . instead of adding useless stuff that slows it down. I can't honestly see myself returning to Octane after the EASY JOY and simple HAPPINESS that software that JUST WORKS can give you.

I recommend switching to everybody. Stop punishing yourself over a piece of software that was great and innovative 3 years ago but is now lagging behind - with basic features missing - awful communication - single-man plugin developer 'teams'. . .. they obviously don't care - I left - I don't regret it for a single minute.

Marc.
marcjday
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 pm

mojave Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:29 pm
Hi,

We are sorry to hear that, specially now that Octane is at an inflection point when the Max plugin is catching up very fast, as well as the Octane core development, which almost doubled development effort. As a prove of that you can just look at the latest releases, which have just introduced new features requested by many users such as adaptive sampling, triplanar mapping, bokeh support, etc. and that plugins are integrating as well. You can expect this to continue in the future as things are moving fast. We hope you'll continue using Octane in production in the future.

I am interested to know whether the problem you had was solved and if you have already subscribed to get updates upon maintenance on our servers. Note that this should happen now less and less frequently as our servers should be load-balance and unless it is due to an general Internet outage you should always get service.

Also, could you please give some specific details about the following claims so we can look into what's not working well so we can improve it please?

basic things that we all need and which vray gives instead of adding useless stuff that slows it down

basic features missing

awful communication

Thank you
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby c4d » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 am

c4d Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:53 am
1. old scene convertion is still a mess , can't convert some of the materials in forest prck pro(latest 3.06-4.31) from 1.9 which force me still using 1.9 , this is the last karba version( fast , low vram , compatiable even lower to very old 1.2 version )
2. multi-region render missing (look at fstorm)
3. huge vram increase compare to old 1.9 (almost double)
4. vray material convertion is a mess, can't convert 2side, or convert to a wrong material type (vraymtl to specular) , makes the preparation long and boring , plus new version can't open the old scene correctly which other engine will never happen
5. request feature never get response or get added, for example, an autosave rendering feature requested since 2011 , a xref compatiable in RT since 2013 , multi-light
c4d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am

paride4331 Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am
Hi c4d,
About converting vray, developers and me are doing tests to improve the tool,
This topic has been considered several times and explained about a different nature between a Vray and Octane material;
OSL will probably give a great help in the future.
https://twitter.com/JulesUrbach/status/834357398164758529
With Vram issues you may lower parallel sample.
Multi light could be an useful tools, but same results using light passes in compositing.
3dsMax Octane render production workflow allows auto-saving which is as it should be.
Around multi region render contact SDK devolopers, please.
Could you kindly tell me in detail what's problem about xref and forest pack materials?
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby thekwen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 pm

thekwen Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:39 pm
Asking about basic features request and bad communication ?
Seriously ?

One year that octane 3 is out and still no proper documentation ...
Have to loose time and money to find solution or explanation on the forum ...

Simple request as "vray multimatte element like" have never been taken in consideration.

Sold features like volume fog still don't work ... (did you try a scene with daylight fog and alpha ... ?)

Motion blur with particules drives me crazy ...

Every time we ask for a feature or for having what octane 3 should have (every features you sold us) we have no answer or an answer like "tell me what you need i'll explain you how to dispense from it"

We all see major effort and investisment from paride but what we need is a tool that works.

Every 3D artist i know have left the forum because we only loose our time asking for the same things again and again.

Kwen
thekwen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max