Liquid Simulation

Forums: Liquid Simulation
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Liquid Simulation

Postby marcjday » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 pm

marcjday Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 pm
So - about 2 years ago. . . I had a summer of rendering out a huge project. . . lots of water animation. I used realflow and did that HACK of having to force the frame ticker onto the next frame to load in the next water mesh. .. . what a nightmare.

Anyway - the client pops over . . . they want a load of new animations doing !!! Brilliant!!!

'Of course,' I say to the client, 'I won't have to use that hack again - it's been two years, they were a young company, but it's been a whole two years. . . I'm sure they'll have it all fixed by now - people were moaning a lot about it even back then.'

But I'm not so sure. . . is it fixed? does it work now? I bet the motion blur is too complex to get done - I think that's a whole different ballgame. . . but surely refreshing the model upload each frame. . . that's fixed isn't it? Do I still have to import a string of separate meshes? or can I just keep it all in 3ds max? Is phoenix FD 3 supported? The releases make it look like it is. . but at what level? are there any kind of tutorials or a pdf explaining how to integrate with it? do I use the vray version and add a modifier? or the defscanline version?

I mean my basic conversation with clients/other artists/strangers for 3 years has been. . .

"No I don't use vray - I use Octane Render'
"Octane what?"
"Yeh - it's an unbiased GPU renderer. .. great results. .. absolutely nobody supports it. .. no model suppliers, no plugins. .. it's completely on it's own. . quite a struggle to work with really."
"Really? Is it that bad?"
"The results are great if you stick with it - but not for interiors - it's awful for interiors. .. honestly I try and put clients off having interior renders it's that bad"
"No way!?!??"
"Yeah - and get this - I spent years building up a library - we're talking GIGABYTES - hundreds, if not thousands, of converted models, because you have to convert them - manually as well - their automatic converters are absolute drivel .. . . plants, people, cars, furniture.. . . and they CHANGE the renderer so it all becomes useless.. . just renders GREY!!!! Can you believe it?!?"
"So you wouldn't recommend it then?"
"Absolutely not - trying to think of reasons to not move over to something else to be honest. . .. they promise to improve it - but they just add loads of pointless stuff that only a few percent of people need or want. I think they're just using octane render money to fund other stuff that excites them more.. . . you know. .. hollywood movie stuff or streaming. .. "
"Don't they have teams working on it?"
"One guy for the 3ds max plugin. . ."
"ONE?!?!?!"
"Yeah - he buggered off and made a different company - they might even be suing him I think. . . then there's been a couple of other guys.. .. sure they're good at what they do. .. but yeah - just one at a time apparently. .. . there I was thinking 3ds max was THE architectural visualisation software."

etc.

So - maybe it's time for VRAY RT. .. anybody got any opinions on RT with phoenix fd - I mean they're the same company .. . got to work well together?

Cheers,

Marc.
marcjday
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Liquid Simulation

Postby paride4331 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:20 pm

paride4331 Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:20 pm
Hi marcjday,
new Octane 3ds Max developers made many improvements to make this plugin an efficient tool for 3dsMax.
About your realflow question, the issue should be solved by version 4.29.
I would recommend you to download the latest 30.4 release
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloads/plugins/ff/75/7a/6a/OctaneRender_for_3ds_Max_3.05.3_-_4.30.exe
and test it.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby marcjday » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:32 pm

marcjday Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:32 pm
I'm running that release right now.

I might well spend some time and test it to see if it works . .. ..

:)

Cheers,

Marc.
marcjday
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm

coilbook Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm
keep dreaming about motion blur for 3ds max. We will never see it. I was begging to get it fix for the past 2-3 years. Octane's most popular plugin 3ds max OCtane and they cannot negotiate with Autodesk and finally resolve problem with MB once and for all. It is a joke that such a nice renderer cannot get MB. Every renderer I see support MB for changing topology

Realflow still does not update every frame. And it's been 2 years since we asked them to fix it. Phoenix 3 no answer still when 3ds max will support it
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby marcjday » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

marcjday Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm
Thanks Coilbrook,

So - there _is_ phoenix support in the latest Octane - but it's for what? phoenix 2.2 or 2.3 or something? but not for phoenix fd 3 - which is the allegedly ace fast new version?

Genuinely amazed that we still have to use a hack to force these animated meshes to load. .. . +sigh+

Well. . . I say 'we'. . . I think that my 3 glorious years as an Octane user are slowly thudding to a halt. . .

www.counterprojects.com . .. if anybody's interested. . . . everything done in octane. . . +sigh+

Cheers,

Marc.
marcjday
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 pm

coilbook Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:04 pm
marcjday wrote:Thanks Coilbrook,

So - there _is_ phoenix support in the latest Octane - but it's for what? phoenix 2.2 or 2.3 or something? but not for phoenix fd 3 - which is the allegedly ace fast new version?

Genuinely amazed that we still have to use a hack to force these animated meshes to load. .. . +sigh+

Well. . . I say 'we'. . . I think that my 3 glorious years as an Octane user are slowly thudding to a halt. . .

http://www.counterprojects.com . .. if anybody's interested. . . . everything done in octane. . . +sigh+

Cheers,

Marc.

I agree. I think it is 2.2 I need 3 since liquids use fast flip solver.

Please Otoy tell us when 3ds max OCtane will support Phoenix 3
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ThaRaven » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:03 pm

ThaRaven Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:03 pm
Phoenix 3 already works (workaround) you have to copy the Volume Modefier from an "old" Phoenix 2 Grid.. Renders fine.. but its not a real sollution..
Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX780 |Dual X5667 Xeon | 40GB | MAX 2016 |
ThaRaven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 pm

haze Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:38 pm
coilbook wrote:keep dreaming about motion blur for 3ds max. We will never see it. I was begging to get it fix for the past 2-3 years. Octane's most popular plugin 3ds max OCtane and they cannot negotiate with Autodesk and finally resolve problem with MB once and for all. It is a joke that such a nice renderer cannot get MB. Every renderer I see support MB for changing topology

Realflow still does not update every frame. And it's been 2 years since we asked them to fix it. Phoenix 3 no answer still when 3ds max will support it

For the MB issue, please see here:
viewtopic.php?p=306733#p306733
I think the reason other renderers do MB with changing topology is because they created their own (potentially inaccurate) motion vectors, or used a hack of some sort.

About the realflow problem - Christophe has fixed the issue, but if it still exists in the newest version, please send us a scene so that we can take a look.

About PhoenixFD 3, it is at the top of the feature list to be supported. We generally prioritise fixing bugs above implementing features. We will investigate the realflow issue and then get onto PhoenixFD 3.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max