Phoenix fd 3 support.

Forums: Phoenix fd 3 support.
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Phoenix fd 3 support.

Postby coilbook » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 am

coilbook Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:17 am
Hi any idea when Phoenix fd 3 will be supported. Currently only 2.2 is supported by octane. Do we have to wait for octane 3.1 or can you guys add earlier support. Thank you.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Phoenix fd 3 support.

Postby ThaRaven » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:50 pm

ThaRaven Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:50 pm
+1
Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX780 |Dual X5667 Xeon | 40GB | MAX 2016 |
ThaRaven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Norman_Stansfield » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Norman_Stansfield Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:44 pm
Now buying phoenix 3.0 and would be great to use it in octane for 3dsmax.
Perhaps someone here: Is there possibility to output smoke/fire/cloud grid in vdb format instead native .aur format of Phoenix? I've found partial "yes" in Phoenix 3.0 documentation, but I couldn't do this the way they described it in the manual. VDB export from Phoenix would be totally enough for most of situations, since I can render fire and smoke from fume fx vdb's and it works great, even with moblur. Other stuff like liquids in Phoenix 3.0 are mesh based (ocean, fluids) and can be cached by xmesh or whatever and octane sees every mesh that is visible in viewport. Particles from phoenix can be frosted or instanced with help of pflow and rendered in octane with motionblur as well.

So the only thing that prevents us from using octane 3dsmax with phoenix 3.0 is this unclear way of writing vdb files. Perhaps there is any phoenix user who did it?

nl
Norman_Stansfield
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:03 pm

haze Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:03 pm
coilbook wrote:Hi any idea when Phoenix fd 3 will be supported. Currently only 2.2 is supported by octane. Do we have to wait for octane 3.1 or can you guys add earlier support. Thank you.

We are still committed to supporting PhoenixFD 3, but we are currently busy fixing issues.

Norman_Stansfield wrote:Now buying phoenix 3.0 and would be great to use it in octane for 3dsmax.
Perhaps someone here: Is there possibility to output smoke/fire/cloud grid in vdb format instead native .aur format of Phoenix? I've found partial "yes" in Phoenix 3.0 documentation, but I couldn't do this the way they described it in the manual. VDB export from Phoenix would be totally enough for most of situations, since I can render fire and smoke from fume fx vdb's and it works great, even with moblur. Other stuff like liquids in Phoenix 3.0 are mesh based (ocean, fluids) and can be cached by xmesh or whatever and octane sees every mesh that is visible in viewport. Particles from phoenix can be frosted or instanced with help of pflow and rendered in octane with motionblur as well.

So the only thing that prevents us from using octane 3dsmax with phoenix 3.0 is this unclear way of writing vdb files. Perhaps there is any phoenix user who did it?

nl

The SDK for PhoenixFD contains an AUR loader, so theoretically it would be possible for anyone with the PhoenixFD SDK to write a converter to VDB. If there is enough interest, I'll look into writing a converter like this in my personal time if the PHX licence allows.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby remKa » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 pm

remKa Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:25 pm
I'm waiting for that support too ;)
i7 3930K / 1 EVGA Titan Black SuperClocked - 1 GTX Titan - 1 GTX 960 / 32 Gb DDR 3
http://www.remka.fr
https://twitter.com/remKa_
remKa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Raytrace » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Raytrace Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Hope this helps a bit. There is a topic in CG Forum.

"Just an update on this - using a 3.0 nightly now you can replace in the output path of a Phoenix simulator the "aur" extension with "vdb" and it would export VDB caches.
Note that this way you need to set an explicit path and can't use the $(...) macros."

If you use the browse function and type .vdb, it will automatically add .aur to the path. If you delete .aur in the path in the modifier panel afterwards, it does output the vdb's.
Raytrace
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Norman_Stansfield » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Norman_Stansfield Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 pm
Thanks, I am just doing this, but phoenix 3.00.02 saves vdb with red green blue channels separately, as well as smoke, temperature and velocity. How do I know which channel is for emission or scatter? I've managed to guess it with fume fx vdb's but it has different channel assignments. Anyone made it working?
Norman_Stansfield
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:55 pm

haze Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:55 pm
Norman_Stansfield wrote:Thanks, I am just doing this, but phoenix 3.00.02 saves vdb with red green blue channels separately, as well as smoke, temperature and velocity. How do I know which channel is for emission or scatter? I've managed to guess it with fume fx vdb's but it has different channel assignments. Anyone made it working?

As a guess, I'd try assigning smoke to Absorption and Scattering, and temperature to emission
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Norman_Stansfield » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:56 am

Norman_Stansfield Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:56 am
After first day of using phoenix fd 3.0 I've managed to render it's cloud of voxels with 3dsmax octane unbiased gpu render.
Most of required settings are on the attached screenshot. You need to tweak parameters for some time to get desired look. Channel assignment is visible on the screenshot. Octane Volume gizmo is used to load Phoenix 3.00.02 vdb's. Original aur files won't work, of course.
Strenght and temperature is set in 'blackbody emmision' texture slot of octane scattering material.

This is a first phoenix preset of explosion with no changes, and scale is visible with the box onscreen. It renderes very fast on single 1070 gtx gpu.

I think some users may be happy to use octane with phoenix, take a look at the closeup of unbiased light, painting these objects underneath explosion...

sorry for quality, there is quality limit and 4k fonts are very small. I've put the same post on the chaos group phoenix fd forum.
Norman_Stansfield
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm

coilbook Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm
Norman_Stansfield wrote:After first day of using phoenix fd 3.0 I've managed to render it's cloud of voxels with 3dsmax octane unbiased gpu render.
Most of required settings are on the attached screenshot. You need to tweak parameters for some time to get desired look. Channel assignment is visible on the screenshot. Octane Volume gizmo is used to load Phoenix 3.00.02 vdb's. Original aur files won't work, of course.
Strenght and temperature is set in 'blackbody emmision' texture slot of octane scattering material.

This is a first phoenix preset of explosion with no changes, and scale is visible with the box onscreen. It renderes very fast on single 1070 gtx gpu.

I think some users may be happy to use octane with phoenix, take a look at the closeup of unbiased light, painting these objects underneath explosion...

sorry for quality, there is quality limit and 4k fonts are very small. I've put the same post on the chaos group phoenix fd forum.

i though octane does not support phoenix fd 3. and only supports 2.22 Am I wrong?
thank you
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max