Memory free instance scattering in 3ds max?

Forums: Memory free instance scattering in 3ds max?
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Re: Memory free instance scattering in 3ds max?

Postby suvakas » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:10 am

suvakas Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:10 am
@Otoy
A fast way to support Particle Flow is to do it like Vray does.
Add an "instancer" helper that gets the instances positions from particles in ParticleFlow and lets user to pick an object(s) to scatter to those positions.
PF parameters are accessible from Max SDK too if i remember correctly. Should be 1-2 days of work maximum. (if you have a programmer available 8-) )

Suv
suvakas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Rik » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:27 am

Rik Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:27 am
There you go JimStar. Do what suvakas suggests?
Rik
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby azen » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 pm

azen Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:08 pm
Rik wrote:Thanks Azen. Hopefully by 'more intuitive' you mean 'will work' :D

Would be really fantastic to have Octane instances work with all the modelling tools. For starters how about...

Max's own scatter tool (obviously)

AvisStudio Atiles plugin
http://www.avizstudio.com/tools/atiles/

Populate Panels
http://populate3d.com/products/panels/

I've tried Forestpack lite and it does look amazing. Snag is that for the number of times I'd use all that functionality it seems a nut-ache to have to spend £160 on the pro version when Octane should just work properly so I don't need to spend my hard earned loot.
If the Forest pack lite could use 3d terrain then I'd just use that but unfortunately it's restricted to 2d base objects

Integrating instancing into the native scatter tool would be the more intuitive approach. The best time to get the ball rolling on implementing this would be with Octane 3, as the revamp of core Octane functionality will likely allow for superior integration in a number of ways. That isn't to say that the 2.x releases will not also get the same treatment - work on 2.x at the moment is being scaled down temporarily to focus on Octane 3. This, and a number of other user-requested tasks, will be revisited as soon as 3.x is safely out the door (which is coming soon, based on the recent release announcement).
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby suvakas » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:37 am

suvakas Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:37 am
With only a minor effort you could give everybody some basic instancing/PF tools, but no.. still talking about awesome things that will come in future.
What if i need to create an explosion? Will your "scattering tool" allow me to? You see, PF support is still needed. I don't get it. It's an easy to add thing.
Just put it in and create your own scattering tool later when basics are done.

Suv
suvakas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby azen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:03 pm

azen Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:03 pm
At the moment, our focus is on stabilizing 2.x, finalizing the upcoming 3.x releases.

In order to ensure that development is kept focused and doesn't make frequent deviations from core work, tasks such as this will be reviewed and developed after the impending milestone is reached, based on user demand.

Even in the case of the simplest tasks, it is essential that proper consideration is given to new development workflows and core feature sets. All this to ensure that, with Octane 3 around the corner, that features are features rather than workarounds. These, and a number of other requests, can be given their due attention shortly once we have hit this upcoming release milestone.
azen
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jamestmather » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:10 pm

jamestmather Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:10 pm
Any news on instances in Octane? I've been at this foe two days now and no joy. Looks like I'm going back to corona. :(

Doesn't anyone answer in this forum? Seems like a ghost town.
jamestmather
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:09 pm

paride4331 Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:09 pm
Hi jamestmather,
https://docs.otoy.com/3DSMaxH/3DSMaxPluginManual.htm#3DSMax/OctaneProxy.htm?Highlight=movable
maybe it would help us to explain what issue you encounter, it does not seem clear what problem you have.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Previous

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max