Sun Adding Noise to IES Lights

Forums: Sun Adding Noise to IES Lights
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Re: Sun Adding Noise to IES Lights

Postby DonFarese » Sun May 17, 2015 4:52 am

DonFarese Sun May 17, 2015 4:52 am
Okay nagboy, I'm really getting hooked right now on octane. My Scenes are now rendering a lot faster due to the help you have provided. So Thank you very much for that. I have a few questions for production.

1) What or who do I use for a renderfarm? This is my main concern!

2) I currently am testing these Gpu renderers with a Titan x mainly for it's 12gb ram, but do I have to really be concerned with memory? seems Octane is good at keeping it low and able to maybe offload to system ram. So should I buy much cheaper 780's with 6gb. Some scenes will get very large though.
Win 8.1 64 | AMD Firepro W7000 + Geforce GTX Titan X | i7 3930k | 32GB
DonFarese
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kcpr-raffaEl » Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 pm

kcpr-raffaEl Sun May 17, 2015 10:54 pm
DonFarese wrote:Okay nagboy, I'm really getting hooked right now on octane. My Scenes are now rendering a lot faster due to the help you have provided. So Thank you very much for that. I have a few questions for production.

1) What or who do I use for a renderfarm? This is my main concern!

2) I currently am testing these Gpu renderers with a Titan x mainly for it's 12gb ram, but do I have to really be concerned with memory? seems Octane is good at keeping it low and able to maybe offload to system ram. So should I buy much cheaper 780's with 6gb. Some scenes will get very large though.

Great that you've found answer for your problem!

About the questions:

1. I'll look for GPU rendering providers and let you know. I heard something about Amazon - am I right? Maybe more users have some knowelge about GPU farms.

2. Memory is crucial when you rendering complex scenes with lot of polygons and textures. Too bad for now OCTANE is limited to ~16Million polys (if I remember correctly) so at this time you probably won't use all GPU memory but it gives you great possibilities for future. In my opinion 6GB of VRAM or more is best option for OCTANE when you render complex scenes or huge resolutions.

Look on Tom Glimps website: http://tomglimps.com/ - there is article why GPU memory is important.

That's my humble 2 cents... ;)
kcpr-raffaEl
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DonFarese » Mon May 18, 2015 4:09 am

DonFarese Mon May 18, 2015 4:09 am
Thanks a lot bud, really loving Octane now. My only concern is when it comes to Animation time, what I do for a renderfarm. Hopefully I can find a solution
DonFarese
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nagboy » Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 pm

nagboy Mon May 18, 2015 1:03 pm
1. Renderfarm is problematic at the moment. I recon its going to get a lot better once the cloud edition is released. Octane should be really easy to distribute rendering with but at the moment nobody is providing any services. Not that i know of at least. For me i have just built extra machines with GPU's in them for additional renderpower.

2. I haven't had any real issues with memory limitations. You plan a little bit ahead. Maybe you tend to fix problems more with geometry instead of textures because this is more efficient. I have been working on, what i consider, some pretty heavy scenes without experiencing any real issues. You can also use the CPU memory. This is reducing the rendering speed a little but its working pretty good as far as i can understand.

For me the biggest issues are revolving around workflow in Octane. It is somewhat retarded in some ways where you end up doing manual labor for simple things that could/should have been fixed with small UX improvements. This leads me to believe that there isn't anyone very near the developers that use Octane in 3DSMax on a daily bases for production. That's a little bit scary.
nagboy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DonFarese » Tue May 19, 2015 6:21 am

DonFarese Tue May 19, 2015 6:21 am
Hi nagboy,

What is a good site I can go to get not only light setting but the IES files with them? I read about some site for that but I forgot which one it was. On that Glamox site I can't find the details and IES files like you did for the bulbs. I'm having trouble figuring out how to input light setting, this is the light http://www.iuseelite.com/en/product.php?p=bl4 it is B1402, how do I get the right settings for that and color, It's the 50w version.

Also on a separate topic I set a rgb image texture of a spherical sky under the daylight system texture input, but it doesn't show up. I tried a lower res image and it did, is there size restriction on the texture size, and is that the proper way to go about doing that?

Once again I really appreciate the help.
DonFarese
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm

coilbook Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm
i had the same problem but now I bump IES lights samples to 500 and it is nice and clear
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby artkiro » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 am

artkiro Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:44 am
nagboy wrote:Im glad i could help.

Ive created a very simple scene which is comparable to yours. All the settings are the Octane default except from: Filtersize is set to 1.0 and Diffuse Depth is set to 20. The exposure is also changed to 8.

The scene looks like this @16000 samples but i recon its pretty good at around 3000-4000 also.

Link to scene:
http://1drv.ms/1FfwxGC

Hope you have success with your project and your client is happy!

Nagboy, Hi ! could you once again share the stage, the link is not working.
artkiro
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mytherapy » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm

mytherapy Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm
Hello, I've got most of the IES light setup working, but I'm stuck trying to rotate the lights using the viewport controls. Following what naggboy said, I've set up a sphere with a material. My material setup is:

diffuse material << black body emission (in the diffuse slot) << IES Texture (in the distribution slot) << Spherical (in the projection slot) << Rotation (in the Sphere Transform slot.

The only way to rotate the lights at the moment is by changing the XYZ coordinates in the final "Rotation" node, which is far too clumsy and time-consuming for my purposes.

Here's a thread that seems to solve this issue for C4D but I'm using 3ds Max and I can't translate the solution: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43199
mytherapy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby paride4331 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:27 am

paride4331 Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:27 am
Hi mytherapy,
You are using an incorrect setup, .ies can not work that way.
https://docs.otoy.com/3DS_Max_Reference_Manual_HTML5/3DSPluginManual.htm#3DS_Max/Reference_Manual/IES%20Texture.htm?Highlight=ies
you could alternatively use the OctaneIESLight, orientation will be fixed shortly.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby mytherapy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 am

mytherapy Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 am
Hi, I'm a bit confused by your reply, mostly because it seems to contradict earlier posts.
1. Near the top of this thread is a comment by nagboy that says ""Never" use the IES light object". Are you saying that it's ok to use these now?
2. Is the documentation link you sent to me the "right" way to set up the lights? The main difference between that and how I was doing it seems to be that I was using a black body emission (as suggested by Nagboy) and the link recommends using a Texture Emission. However, the texture emission doesn't seem to have all the settings required to enter "efficiency" and other physical properties of the light.

Thanks for your post, but can you be more specific about exactly what you think I'm doing wrong rather than just telling me I have an "incorrect setup"?
mytherapy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max