MAX2Octane wish list

Forums: MAX2Octane wish list
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

MAX2Octane wish list

Postby Skeletor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Skeletor Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:36 pm
I'm in the process of rendering out a 2000+ frames animation, so I feel like I've learnt a few things about the animation process using Octane and MAX2Octane. The thing that bothers me the most is the stability issues. I'm not sure if it's to do with the plug-in or Octane itself. The most frames I've rendered out without crashing is about 300, but sometimes it crashes after just 10 frames. (Using Octane 2.2b, Cuda 3.0 and 258.96 Nvidia drivers)

Something which I really miss from using a CPU based solution is the ability to use the computer while rendering. Setting the CPU to only use three cores for rendering and letting it run in the background is a real plus if you want to browse the Internet or do some other non demanding tasks. With Octane and the plug-in the system is very unresponsive and seems to crash if you attempt at using the computer for other things.

To sum things up:

1. Fix the stability issues

2. Make Octane + plug-in able to run in the background with some sort of throttle functionality for the GPU

That's all. If anyone would like to add to the wish list feel free to do so.
Win 7 64bit, GF 460 2GB, Intel quad, 4GB memory
Skeletor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: MAX2Octane wish list

Postby kilaD » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:54 pm

kilaD Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:54 pm
Due to the way the rendering is done now, max will be tied up while rendering animations.
It is not the best solution by far, and I'm not surprised about the chrashes.
Hopefully all animationworkflow is done within octane in the future.

The unresponsivenes is caused by octane using your gpu to the fullest.

I do not know if its possible to tell octane to use a certain percent of the cores, or set the priority etc..

I always set max to all cores, but low priority, that fixes the lagging. But i dont know if that solution applies to octane and the gpu..

Anyway, you should ask Radiance about this

k
Hello
kilaD
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Skeletor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Skeletor Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm
Cheers for the quick reply kilaD.

Yeah it would be ideal if Octane could render out an animation without having to export every frame as an .obj, but I think Radiance said that it's not possible since they don't want to focus on just one 3D package like Max, Maya etc. Maybe he will see this topic and make a comment on the problems discussed.

OT:
I just checked your website and was really impressed with the GhostTown script you've made. Awesome work! Will it be commercial or free to use?
Skeletor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kilaD » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 pm

kilaD Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:56 pm
Well i have some ideas that should work, atleast for flythrough animations.
Max2octane should just send a single list of all cameraproperties through the animation,
and then step through the list without getting it per frame with max.

And thanks, yes GhostTown is soon ready for release, maybe a free lite and a full Elite version :)

k
Hello
kilaD
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Skeletor » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Skeletor Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:47 pm
I can see it being doable for fly through animations as well, but for things like morphers and bone animations it would be more complicated.

I'll make sure to check out the lite version at least. Poor students like me are always skint! But I fully understand you would want to earn a bit of cash for your hard work :)
Skeletor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max