MeshVolume object

Forums: MeshVolume object
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

MeshVolume object

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:54 am

neonZorglub Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:54 am
MeshVolume object
(available from version 13.17)

The MeshVolume object convert a mesh from the scene to an Octane Volume or an Octane Volume SDF.

Workflow:

-Create a MeshVolme object (Geometry / Octane section)
-Set the Type as 'Mesh Volume' or 'Mesh Volume SDF'
-Set the Voxel size to a relatively large value first (4.0 or more)
-Click on the 'Mesh Node' button, and click on a node in the scene to be used as a reference mesh.
-See the resulting grid size, (evaluated when the Octane viewport is open), and reduce the Voxel size to increase the grid size if needed.

[Edit: MeshVolume objects need to be set as 'Movable proxy' in the Octane properties in order to be rendered correctly. that will be fixed in the next release..]

Octane Volume:
With the Type set to Octane Volume, you can apply a Medium texmap.
Here are some examples:

Octane Volume SDF:
With the Type set to Octane Volume SDF, you can use this object as input to the various Vectron operator objects, and with a custom Vectron OSL script.

For example, create a Vectron object, set the osl shader to SdfNoiseMaker.osl.
Set the noise texture to an octane 'Noise texture'
Adjust the noiseScale and distMultiplier values.

'Copy node Transform' button:
If the source mesh node is scaled or rotated, the resulting mesh volume object will not take those transform into account. It purely use the un-transformed mesh.
You can use the Copy node Transform button to apply the same scale and rotation to the MeshVolume object.
Alternatively, you could Reset XForm the source mesh node. That will 'bake' the mesh to include those transformations.

Display Settings:
The 'Display as' option allows to display the MeshVolume object as the mesh of the selected node.
'Default' will use the current viewport shading.
'Wireframe' will force the mesh display as wireframe.
A dummy box will be used if no valid node is set as 'Mesh node'

Here are some samples:
MeshVolumeSamples.zip
(3.64 MiB) Downloaded 86 times

MeshVolume_Samples1.png

MeshVolumeSDF_Samples1.png

MeshVolumeSDF_Samples2.png

Known issues:
-The current Octane engine (2022.1) has issues with the Vectron operators, and with multiple Vectron using different Octane Volume SDF objects.
Those issues will be fixed in the next engine release.
-The 'Mesh node' button might disappear if the dialog is resized in Modify mode. Work around: avoid resizing, or disable 'Expand Object Dialogs width (Experimental)' in Octane Preferences / User interface tab.
-MeshVolume objects need to be set as 'Movable proxy' in the Octane properties in order to be rendered correctly. that will be fixed in the next release
-Export to orbx is not yet supported.

Note that a simple version of MeshVolumeSDF convertion is available in the Octane Geometry Modifer, but it is recomender to use an Octane MeshVolume object instead. (The Voxel size parameter in the modifier do not take into account the scene scale units.)
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: MeshVolume object

Postby HHbomb » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:03 pm

HHbomb Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:03 pm
Hi, NZ !
"-Click on the 'Mesh Node' button, and click on a node in the scene to be used as a reference mesh."
copy node transform button do nothing...
File sample are very nice but can't do it one myself as I can"t pick a node.
Any idea ?

[edit] Are you sure you upload the right version ? I don't have same UI for meshvolume
YOKO Studio | win 10 64 | i7 5930K GTX 3090 | 3dsmax 2022.3 |
HHbomb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: MeshVolume object

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:59 pm

neonZorglub Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:59 pm
HHbomb wrote:Hi, NZ !
"-Click on the 'Mesh Node' button, and click on a node in the scene to be used as a reference mesh."
copy node transform button do nothing...
File sample are very nice but can't do it one myself as I can"t pick a node.
Any idea ?

[edit] Are you sure you upload the right version ? I don't have same UI for meshvolume

Hi HHbomb,
I checked the download link for OctaneRender_Studio+_for_3ds_Max_2022.1_-_13.17.exe; it's the correct version.
I tested with max2023, max2020 and max2018, here is the UI I see:
MeshVolumeUI_13.17.png

(Note that 3dsmax version 2013 to 2017 are not included in this release)
Try to create a default Torus,
Then a MeshVolume.
Before clicking on the 'Mesh node' button, see the description line at the bottom of 3dsmax window, that should be the usual 'Click and drag to select and move object'
When you click on 'Mesh node', it should change to 'Pick a geometry node..'
You should be able to click on the Torus, and the torus button name will change to Torus001, and the torus shape will be displayed for the MeshVolume object in the 3dsMax viewport..

(I forgot to mention that the MeshVolume object should be set as 'Movable proxy' in the Octane properties. that will be fixed in the next release..)

Witch version of 3dsMax are you using ?
Could you post a screenshot of the UI you see?

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max