Phoenix Particle Texture (Wetmap)

Forums: Phoenix Particle Texture (Wetmap)
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Phoenix Particle Texture (Wetmap)

Postby neonZorglub » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:52 am

neonZorglub Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:52 am
------------ Phoenix Particle Texture (Wetmap) ------------------
(from Octane plugin 2021.1.4 - 12.17)

The new texture "PhtParticleTex" allow mapping of 2 colors depending on the distance to particles of a Phoenix simulator.

This can be used to create a 'wet' effect, where the liquid has touched a surface.

To visualize and setup the particle distance and blend ratio, you can first use it as the diffuse color of a diffuse material:
wetmap_blackAndWhite.png

Then, you can use it as the Amount of a mix material, to blend a wet and a dry material:
wetmap_mixMtl.png

The usage should be straight forward:
After a Phoenix simulation is complete, move the timeline to a frame where the particles are visible.
-Select a Phoenix simulator node
-Select one of the particle group available (eg : Wetmap)
-Open Octane viewport.
-Adjust the particle size and blend percent to archive the desired effect.

Note:
Cache files with particles data are created for each frame, and stored in a similar way as the AUR files of Phoenix.
The location can be 'Current max file folder' (corresponding to '$(scene_path)' in Output tab of the Phoenix object),
other preset path, or a user defined folder.
You should not need to store those files when sharing a scene, as they will be re-created using the Phoenix data (AUR files).

The 'Clear Octane cache' button will delete those file (with a confirmation dialog).
This might be needed if you re-start the simulation.
You can also open the cache folder using the context menu on this button.

Known issues:
-When the material editor is open, moving the timeline is slowed down by the material preview creation.
-When saving a scene with another name, the cache files will not be saved in the correct location.
When reloading the scene, they will be correctly recreated.

sample:
Phoenix_Particle_Texture_Sample1.zip
(3.76 MiB) Downloaded 150 times

(3dsmax 2020. For older version, replace wetMapSample1.max with the one in the folder 'max2014')
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Phoenix Particle Texture (Wetmap)

Postby imanshirani » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:10 pm

imanshirani Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:10 pm
please make PhtParticleTex for 3ds max Liquid too. ;) 8-)
imanshirani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby remKa » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:07 am

remKa Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:07 am
Hello neonZorglub,

a few feedbacks from using PhxParticleTex :

- When I launch a phoenix sim with a mix material (with the PhxParticleTex) applied to the geometry, 3ds Max crashes, I need to stay with a simple material (without PhxParticleTex)to get the simulation working.

- Render is extremely slow (from 5 seconds to 5 min/frame) and a light is appearing on the right ("Capture_Phx_mixmat.jpg") as soon as I use the mix material with the PhxParticleTex

- I have a bug when I'm using "OctaneParticle/group : Foam" too, whatever the material I'm using for the mesh reference, it renders a very emissive/bright material instead (please see attachement file)

Thank you in advance
Attachments
Capture_Phx_mixmat.JPG
Capture_Phx.JPG
screen.jpg
i7 3930K / 1 EVGA Titan Black SuperClocked - 1 GTX Titan - 1 GTX 960 / 32 Gb DDR 3
http://www.remka.fr
https://twitter.com/remKa_
remKa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:37 pm

coilbook Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:37 pm
neonZorglub wrote:------------ Phoenix Particle Texture (Wetmap) ------------------
(from Octane plugin 2021.1.4 - 12.17)

The new texture "PhtParticleTex" allow mapping of 2 colors depending on the distance to particles of a Phoenix simulator.

This can be used to create a 'wet' effect, where the liquid has touched a surface.

To visualize and setup the particle distance and blend ratio, you can first use it as the diffuse color of a diffuse material:
The attachment wetmap_blackAndWhite.png is no longer available

Then, you can use it as the Amount of a mix material, to blend a wet and a dry material:
The attachment wetmap_mixMtl.png is no longer available

The usage should be straight forward:
After a Phoenix simulation is complete, move the timeline to a frame where the particles are visible.
-Select a Phoenix simulator node
-Select one of the particle group available (eg : Wetmap)
-Open Octane viewport.
-Adjust the particle size and blend percent to archive the desired effect.

Note:
Cache files with particles data are created for each frame, and stored in a similar way as the AUR files of Phoenix.
The location can be 'Current max file folder' (corresponding to '$(scene_path)' in Output tab of the Phoenix object),
other preset path, or a user defined folder.
You should not need to store those files when sharing a scene, as they will be re-created using the Phoenix data (AUR files).

The 'Clear Octane cache' button will delete those file (with a confirmation dialog).
This might be needed if you re-start the simulation.
You can also open the cache folder using the context menu on this button.

Known issues:
-When the material editor is open, moving the timeline is slowed down by the material preview creation.
-When saving a scene with another name, the cache files will not be saved in the correct location.
When reloading the scene, they will be correctly recreated.

sample:
The attachment Phoenix_Particle_Texture_Sample1.zip is no longer available

(3dsmax 2020. For older version, replace wetMapSample1.max with the one in the folder 'max2014')

Thank you for the update! I noticed when liquid resolution is increased wetness disappears unless you change particle group from wetmap to liquid. Not sure why

And if a grid is high resolution using this wetmap is impossible. Too slow

Also on top front of the tractor is covered with wetmap particles but your particles texture is not covering the front top with blue color.
Attachments
wetmaps2.jpg
Last edited by coilbook on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 pm

coilbook Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:53 pm
remKa wrote:Hello neonZorglub,

a few feedbacks from using PhxParticleTex :

- When I launch a phoenix sim with a mix material (with the PhxParticleTex) applied to the geometry, 3ds Max crashes, I need to stay with a simple material (without PhxParticleTex)to get the simulation working.

- Render is extremely slow (from 5 seconds to 5 min/frame) and a light is appearing on the right ("Capture_Phx_mixmat.jpg") as soon as I use the mix material with the PhxParticleTex

- I have a bug when I'm using "OctaneParticle/group : Foam" too, whatever the material I'm using for the mesh reference, it renders a very emissive/bright material instead (please see attachement file)

Thank you in advance

I agree. it is unusable. Easy 5-10 min extra PER FRAME

Can you guys fix it?
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby samsue » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:26 am

samsue Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:26 am
plz fix before the Multi Texture
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:10 am

coilbook Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:10 am
Any fix for this wet texture? Render times are very slow.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max