Forest Color + Mtl

Forums: Forest Color + Mtl
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Forest Color + Mtl

Postby samsue » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:51 pm

samsue Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:51 pm
Hey

I was trying to use forest color, but I can't even use it with UniversalMtl or Vraymtl
Attachments
3dsmax_lkKs85FYY9.jpg
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Forest Color + Mtl

Postby neonZorglub » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:03 am

neonZorglub Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:03 am
samsue wrote:Hey

I was trying to use forest color, but I can't even use it with UniversalMtl or Vraymtl

Hi samsue,

It seems you are using 13.13.
The support for Forest Color / Material was added in 13.14 !
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81068

Please install the latest: 13.15 : viewtopic.php?f=80&t=81100

Also, you might need to disable 'Use Legacy material Converter'.
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby samsue » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 am

samsue Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 am
- Can't I use it as a MultiSubTex (linking to different IDs in a tree, for example)?
- I have to ask, why did you choose to make MultiSubTex with this list format? And not like everyone else, with links or slots? Is there a technical explanation? or did you honestly think this was better solution?
Attachments
3dsmax_Fm0Llnzj1N.png
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:39 am

neonZorglub Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:39 am
samsue wrote:- Can't I use it as a MultiSubTex (linking to different IDs in a tree, for example)?
- I have to ask, why did you choose to make MultiSubTex with this list format? And not like everyone else, with links or slots? Is there a technical explanation? or did you honestly think this was better solution?

Hi samsue,
-Are you talking about the standard 'Multi/Sub-Object' material ?
You can assign it to your tree object. each of the geometry with material ID's in the tree should be assigned to a matching sub material of the 'Multi/Sub-Object'.
and each of this sub-material can use a Forest Color texture, or be itself a Forest material..

Here is a sample. sorry, it's just a box with 4 of the 6 IDs set to some Standard material + a Forest color texmap, but that should show the idea..:
X_test_multiMtl_ForestColor01.zip
(130.45 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

-For the Forest Color and it's 10 maps, that's from Itoo Software.. I didn't do the UI, I'm just reading and converting the data to render something similar with Octane..
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby samsue » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:43 am

samsue Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:43 am
Hey,

- I was trying to use ForestColor as a replacement for Multi-Texture. But the ForetColor is Object based, i could not use in a single object with multiples IDS.

- Why didn't you make Multi-Texture with the possibility to link textures to slots?
Or at least slots where you can load textures. (like the ForestColor UI and all the other Multi-Texture ones from Corona, Vray, Fstrom etc... )

- As in the image, I at least could not use it because the textures have to be loaded sequentially, or several times... very counterproductive.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby neonZorglub » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:18 pm

neonZorglub Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:18 pm
Hi samsue,

Sorry about the late response.

As I understand, you try to use object's material IDs to select a material's texture in a list of textures (Texmap)

Both Multi-Texture and Forest Color are designed for random generation, so won't work well in this case.
And Multi-Texture is not handling texmaps, just image filenames. (that's why it's UI is a bit special, allowing to drag and drop many textures from Windows explorer)
In fact, the name is misleading, it should be named 'Multi-Image' or 'Multi-Image Randomizer' instead.. sorry about that..

By updating the internal osl shader used for Forest Color, I could make a shader that should fit your purpose:

TextureSelector10.zip
(444.16 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

TextureSelector10_scrShot.png

Plane01 has 6 material IDs from 1 to 6, and 2 'TexSelector10' osl textures, one for the diffuse, 1 for the bump
Plane003 has 10 materials IDs from 1 to 10, and a single TexSelector10 for the diffuse.
(Plane02, as a reference, uses the Material Selector)

Would this work for you ?
Is 10 slots enough ?

I could create a Wrapper for it, to avoid to set up the osl shader name and grayScale vertex attribute, and add a Reference Objects window as in the Multi-texture, to make sure objects have the Octane Geometry Modifier correctly setup.

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby samsue » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:08 pm

samsue Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:08 pm
That's exactly right.

I think it works not only for me but for everyone who works with Archiviz...

I've been waiting for this for 3 years

thanks
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby samsue » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:32 am

samsue Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:32 am
Do you have any idea how much time I save by having this?

You should now implement this directly in Octane, but it would be nice not to have to add Ocane Geometry and Vertex Tex, it would be nice to be hard code.
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max