OCIO ACES (not cg) Workflow more simple

Forums: OCIO ACES (not cg) Workflow more simple
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

OCIO ACES (not cg) Workflow more simple

Postby javierluisbravo » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:57 pm

javierluisbravo Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:57 pm
Well..

here again...with this topic. This is whats working perfecly for now:

Only For previewing:
-> turning on "Gamma Hack" and OCIO VIEW: Aces:SRGB in the camera
-> if you save this via F10. All dynamic range is clipped and the ODT is baked into the exr file.
-> in the attachment you can see all software matches previewing like this in octane... except the old srgb setup workflow.

octane_for_preview.jpg
setup only for preview

For rendering:
-> turning off Gamma Hack and OCIO VIEW: none
-> looks wrong, similar to old sRGB linear setup
-> it will render a Aces2065-1 exr file... later you have to transform it to acescg in nuke or AE or whatever.
-> in this setup it looks wrong in octane viewport.. but when used in AE/Nuke in a proper Acescg pipeline. It will work.

octane_for_render_via_max.jpg
setup only for render

Setup for both as paride suggested in his posts...
(ocio in octane config, etc)

That's it for now.

The problem is octane for max is baking the ocio view odt into the exr when saving the file... and carrying the issue of the gamma hack.
javierluisbravo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: OCIO ACES (not cg) Workflow more simple

Postby neonZorglub » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:58 am

neonZorglub Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:58 am
Hi Javier,

I couldn't deeply check yet, but could you clarify a few things ?
Are you saving with 3dsmax exr (OpenEXR ?) or the octane exr ?

There are options in Kernel / Kernel type : Passes output setup, to select the the OCIO look and Color space that will be used when saving as Octane exr.
Did you try to use those ?

Also, to save from Octane viewport as Octane EXR, there is the context menu on the Save icon (right click on the most left button), that has options to save as EXR
Is it the way you save from the Octane viewport ?

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby javierluisbravo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:19 am

javierluisbravo Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:19 am
Thank you for replying :)

- I save always as 3dsmax exr (OpenEXR). As 99% of the time I work with sequences with vfx/animation that goes to AE or Nuke to post process.

- The options in kernel type => i tried those.. and i had them in Aces2065-1... (it made no different for the way i saved the files)

- I usually don't save from Octane Viewport as my finish product is to do vfx/animation. No stills. I save from octane some jpgs sometimes for previewing.

I would not mind to save sequences files from a new tab in the kernel settings.. (if that would be possible).. as for example vray does.

Thank you for your time!
javierluisbravo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby javierluisbravo » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:44 am

javierluisbravo Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:44 am
... i remember viewport tone mapping/render tone mappings options in kernel... In old versions we had HDR lineal or something like that (that was heaven, i used that to save high dynamic exr with 3dsmax exr..
and it worked perfectly..
.. then it dissapeared...and i could not save "3dsmax exr" with pixels above 1.

Then there was an kind of HDR Aces there, it seemed not to work... Then it disappeared in next version...

i always posted when i faced issues of 3dsmax not saving the proper octane rende or clipping values to 1
.. as lot of times i had to improvise and made it work... like first post.

I tried all the ways possible till i got that workaround of the first post...
it's clear that when saving the 3dsmax exr files from the render settings of max... it's not the same octane exr that can be saved from the octane viewport (as you asked me about that)...
would be amazing that to save using octane exr from octane viewport save icon.. or using 3dsmax exr save... all matches.

thanks!
javierluisbravo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby samsue » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:53 am

samsue Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:53 am
I wanted to use aces again... but I think I'll come back to them after a few months, it still seems to be "messy"
samsue
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max