Out of Core Memory

Forums: Out of Core Memory
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

Out of Core Memory

Postby seamus69uk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:23 am

seamus69uk Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:23 am
Hi there,

I am having issues where my renders are failing due to running out of core memory. I have a very complicated scene, which is not unlike other scenes I have created in the past, so I am wondering if I am missing something or peraps my hardware isn't set up properly.

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the technical side of Octane, so I don't really understand how this is all calculated so that I can adjust my scene to suit.

My .c4d scene file is 250mb, my texture folder is 450mb and I am using 2 x GTX 1080 Ti cards, with 64gb of RAM. So, in theory, I have 12gb of VRAM and 64gb of RAM memory available and my project including assets is 700mb. (I may be completely wrong there). If this is the case, can I adjust the out of core memory?

I also use a lot of instances and scatters, do these amp up the memory required? For this particular scene I have a lot of trees and foliage (mostly instances), would reducing scatter counts help at all?

I hope that all makes sense? If you have any tips it would be most appreciated.

seamus69uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Out of Core Memory

Postby seamus69uk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:26 am

seamus69uk Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:26 am
...also, is there a way to see which meshes or textures are using up the memory so I can remove or simplify them? I have been deleting textures and meshes one at a time to see if this helps, I was hoping that maybe there is an easier way around it :)
seamus69uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby seamus69uk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:28 am

seamus69uk Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:28 am
...sorry, one more thing, my latest attemp at a render gavce this fail log message:

Out-of-core memory limit exceeded
device 0: failed to move image texture out of core

Cheers,

Shaun
seamus69uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SSmolak » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:00 pm

SSmolak Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:00 pm
You can increase Out of Core RAM in the Octane settings. 4GB is default. Some time ago I had similiar error while testing NVlink and it was caused by low Windows Virtual Memory Settings. I had to manually increase it to double of my physical RAM. I have only 32GB but if you have 64GB it should be enough.
Architectural Visualizations http://www.archviz-4d.studio
SSmolak
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support