DAZ Studio plug-in in terrible outdated state, needs re-code

Forums: DAZ Studio plug-in in terrible outdated state, needs re-code
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

DAZ Studio plug-in in terrible outdated state, needs re-code

Postby TRRazor » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:21 am

TRRazor Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:21 am
The OCDS plug-in is in a terrible state.

Not only does it frequently miss new features from updated OctaneRender versions, but at this point it doesn't even receive support for features, which DAZ3D is marketing as "core-" or "key-"features (in the most recent case, support for DAZ3D-strand-based-hair).
The plug-in needs a full re-code in clean code, since what face_off received, when he took over development a while ago from t_3 (alias Gerald Gstaltner), was in a Frankenstein-state-quality that he has only so much time to fix / extend.
I fully understand, that this is a problem, that he might not be able to solve on his own, and support from Otoy is much needed.

At this point DAZ Studio plug-in users are asked the same price like those of fully fledged plug-ins like the ones available for 3DS, C4D or Maya. Frankly, this is ridiculous.
The plug-in frequently suffers from crashes and runs in a sub-optimal state. Add to that the above mentioned issues and it becomes painstakingly clear, that something needs to happen on this front.

If somebody from OTOY could please tune in on this discussion, I'd be happy to hear something back from them.

Thank you very much.
Last edited by TRRazor on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
W10 64 bit | i7 3770K | MSI Geforce RTX 2080 (8GB) + GTX Titan Black (6GB) | 32 GB DDR3 RAM
TRRazor
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: DAZ Studio plug-in in terrible outdated state, needs re-code

Postby osiosiosi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm

osiosiosi Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 pm
I feel exactly the same...

Since i joined "the club" with Octane 3.X i know a few bugs that are still present in 2019.1 RC3. For Example instancing is still broken. It is better than i was before, but nothing i would like to use.

Material picking tool can lead to crashes. Maps convert in a wrong way. IES lights emitt only directly from up to down ...

With every new version i find new bugs that surely wont go away on their own... i feel more than a little dissapointed by now. Ive payed money for this but what ive got is still haunted by the same bugs.

I would have been thinking that somebody would work on solving this problems.

For example i am missing a batchrender inside the Octane plugin. One cant use those daz iray batchrenders...

Whats even worse ...when i export the scenes to standalone to render them batch there sometimes all my maps get messed up ...

Thats one bug more that never has been worked on.

I really try my best to give input on bugs i find. But sadly i get the feel that this isnt welcome at all. It feels like "take it how it is" or "bad luck .. dont use it anymore" ...

Just a few minutes ago ive found a new bug in 2019.1 RC3. Ill post it into the DAZ section :-(
osiosiosi
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support