Octane Materials - different colours, same 'global' texture

Forums: Octane Materials - different colours, same 'global' texture
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

Octane Materials - different colours, same 'global' texture

Postby redroster » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am

redroster Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:32 am
Hi all,

I have a problem with trying to work 'smart' with textures in Octane:

Imagine I am making 5 x origami models using 5 x different coloured card sheets. The 5 x sheets all share the same texture (bump, spec & roughness) but the only difference between them is their colour.

How would I achieve this is Octane (ie, 5 x materials that share the same base texture but have different colours of my choosing)

I have tried making a mix texture:
- BASE = spec, roughness & bump
- COLOUR = diffuse RGB spectrum of my choosing

The issue I am having is how to mix them correctly - the BASE always has a diffuse which will show through and mix with the COLOUR. When I disable Diffuse in the BASE it turns that material Black.

I also looked into the random Colour node approach, but understand this works well for cloned objects and adding variation - I want to be able to Art Direct the colours with more control across different models, not clones.

I want to avoid having to set up 5 x independent materials in case I want to tweak the texture aspect, I would have to do this 5 x and seems a redundant approach.

Any help is much appreciated guys thank you.
redroster
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Materials - different colours, same 'global' texture

Postby affixxius » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm

affixxius Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm
I think if you create a material and open the node editor, plug in the textures and change diffuse col, then drag in another material, so you have two laid out in node view then plug in the textures
Attachments
Capture.PNG
// Windows 10 // 2 x RTX3080 // 4x GTX1080Ti // Octane Latest // Cinema 4D 2024 //
affixxius
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support