Plug-in to allow use (much SLOWER?) WITHOUT NVIDIA GPU??

Forums: Plug-in to allow use (much SLOWER?) WITHOUT NVIDIA GPU??
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

Plug-in to allow use (much SLOWER?) WITHOUT NVIDIA GPU??

Postby themacguy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:10 pm

themacguy Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:10 pm
Is it POSSIBLE to build some sort of plug-in that would allow people like me (fInancially strapped, Macintosh users!)
to be able to provide just enough of a software-based compatibility "fix" to allow beginner-level access to the nodal texture tools...??

I'm still struggling to figure out the (seemingly somewhat "buggy") version of 3D-Coat, at a "newbie" level...
But it would be VERY nice to be able to switch off tasks, and start learning the texture-tools in Octane, with some very simple geometric primitives!

I'm waiting for two things--sufficient cash-on-hand, AND lower "affordable" prices for a suitable NVIDIA card with stable Mac-drivers.... Still waiting... <sigh>
"theMacGuy"...
David A. Lewis
2010 MacPro, 6-core Westmere Xeon 64-bit 3.33Ghz CPU,
3GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 w. 1GB VRAM

themacguy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Plug-in to allow use (much SLOWER?) WITHOUT NVIDIA GPU??

Postby abstrax » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:21 pm

abstrax Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:21 pm
themacguy wrote:Is it POSSIBLE to build some sort of plug-in that would allow people like me (fInancially strapped, Macintosh users!)
to be able to provide just enough of a software-based compatibility "fix" to allow beginner-level access to the nodal texture tools...??

I'm still struggling to figure out the (seemingly somewhat "buggy") version of 3D-Coat, at a "newbie" level...
But it would be VERY nice to be able to switch off tasks, and start learning the texture-tools in Octane, with some very simple geometric primitives!

I'm waiting for two things--sufficient cash-on-hand, AND lower "affordable" prices for a suitable NVIDIA card with stable Mac-drivers.... Still waiting... <sigh>

Unfortunately nothing like this exists. I guess the cheapest solution is to get an older/second hand PC and an older NVIDIA card from the 200 series.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Plug-in to allow use (much SLOWER?) WITHOUT NVIDIA GPU??

Postby themacguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 am

themacguy Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 am
Unfortunately nothing like this exists. I guess the cheapest solution is to get an older/second hand PC and an older NVIDIA card from the 200 series.

Hi Marcus!
Alas, I'm financially TOTALLY tasked with paying for my existing 2010 version MacPro 6-core Westmere.... Had to practically strip naked, financially speaking, to make THAT possible,
After previously exhausting my savings of five years, in getting a 50" HDTV-LCD screen... LARGE display to assist my visual disability.... As the sci-fi author Larry Niven is quoted: "Old Age is most definietly NOT for sissies!!" :-} So--until/unless my financial situation hits a windfall (which "ain't likely"...) my current disability-pension-fixed-income only gives me about $20./month of "wiggle room" on my budget...
--I guess I'll have to re-apply for ANOTHER government grant (about 80 pages of documentation, and about 16 months processing time!! :-/// and *perhaps* I can get additional funds granted to me...

Wouldn't know where to even BEGIN with a "PC" box, aside from "blowing" my already subscribed funds that I spent purchasing a MAC license for Octane..... <sigh> DAMMIT!! ;0}
Meanwhile........I guess I should go check my lotto ticket--my twice weekly "Synthetic Hope" injection.... And see if 'I'm rich-without-knowing-it! :-)
"theMacGuy"...
David A. Lewis
2010 MacPro, 6-core Westmere Xeon 64-bit 3.33Ghz CPU,
3GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5770 w. 1GB VRAM

themacguy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support