instancing script

Forums: instancing script
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

instancing script

Postby arian.mares » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

arian.mares Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm
Hi!
After i saw how laborious the process of instancing is i can make a suggestion... can you perhaps write a script (like an additional function) that generates randomly spread out (onto a plane) objects such as stones and plants. I think once you managed to write scripts for generators such as marble and turbulence, this should be a piece of cake for you.
I believe this idea would be a huge step regarding the instancing procedures (that are painfully repetitive therefore pain in the ass for creativity).

Cheers!
arian.mares
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: instancing script

Postby vanhage » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 pm

vanhage Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 pm
If you are a rhino user, I can share a grasshopper file which does a proximity based, random scatter on a mesh surface which I use to generate the text file for the scatter node.
I'm sure the issue has been addressed on a platform by platform basis within the community, it may help to specify what software you are generating your scenes in.
Win 8 64 | 2X Geforce GTX680 | i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz | 32GB
vanhage
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby arian.mares » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:56 pm

arian.mares Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:56 pm
Thank you but the idea was to keep the geometry as simple as possible since the video memory is pretty much more limited in size comparing to the RAM. Btw... i am still studying rhino. I'll get to grasshopper as well one day as it is pretty interesting :)
Thanks again!
arian.mares
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 pm

face_off Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:53 pm
After i saw how laborious the process of instancing is i can make a suggestion... can you perhaps write a script (like an additional function) that generates randomly spread out (onto a plane) objects such as stones and plants. I think once you managed to write scripts for generators such as marble and turbulence, this should be a piece of cake for you.
I believe this idea would be a huge step regarding the instancing procedures (that are painfully repetitive therefore pain in the ass for creativity).

The OctaneRender for Poser plugin does exactly this.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby arian.mares » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:33 pm

arian.mares Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:33 pm
Thank you!
arian.mares
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support