Advice Please!!! Blender plugin for Mac M1 GPU

Forums: Advice Please!!! Blender plugin for Mac M1 GPU
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Advice Please!!! Blender plugin for Mac M1 GPU

Postby sheltondeverell » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:23 pm

sheltondeverell Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:23 pm
Basically putting out a call for advice, for anyone who is successfully running a Mac M1 gpu and Blender.

My server is crashing. If someone could even tell me that they had it working I would continue to bother. Otherwise, it just seems a lot easier
to use the native renderers, Cycles or Eevee. (!!!)

I have a Mac mini Apple M1, it runs standard release Blender 2.9.2 and cycles very well.

Here is what is working with Octane:
The Octane X standalone version. In fact, I have been able to upload .orbx files.
I have succeeded in installing Octane Blender, and installing the server, (version 2.2)
It renders the default cube.
However, as soon as I delete the material on the default cube, my octane server dies!
At that point, Blender cannot locate the server so I get an error.

So...

1) Does it work?? or.. does it only work with an Nvidia gpu and windows, or is it really working on just metal in beta?

2)If it works for you, can you tell me if you have changed anything in the preferences for the plugin or your network settings?
sheltondeverell

Re: Advice Please!!! Blender plugin for Mac M1 GPU

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:25 am

bepeg4d Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:25 am
Hi,
sorry, not a Blender user, but please consider that PR11 is the first SDK version supporting plugins with M1 chip, so some glitches are expected.

M1 chip support is still considered experimental at this stage, and it is still working under Rosetta 2 for plugins in Big Sur, at the moment.

Happy Mac GPU rendering,
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: Advice Please!!! Blender plugin for Mac M1 GPU

Postby sheltondeverell » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:10 pm

sheltondeverell Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:10 pm
Hello, thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.

I have noticed that you have replied to many of the Blender questions.

I hope that they will update for Mac, and if you have any suggestions for resources about how to get some good results out of the standalone for a beginner, let me know.
sheltondeverell

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion