latest demo & Cinema4d Plug-in freezing

Forums: latest demo & Cinema4d Plug-in freezing
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

latest demo & Cinema4d Plug-in freezing

Postby John Doe » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:25 pm

John Doe Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:25 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, on my journey trying renderers either compatible with Cinema4d or having a plugin for it I ran into issues..

So, I ran the latest (Octane)benchmark without any issue, because I've got a rather weak machinesetup at the moment.

I installed the latest plugin for C4d R20, started with a simple scene containing 2 blockmeshes + 1 octanelight.
The liveviewer window stayed black only displayed some data regarding my gpu and ram etc. resending the scene to render an update keeps crashing C4d after displaying few numbers (in the upper left corner - a countdown or loading objcts I guess (?))

After that I tried the (latest) standalone demo with a demoscene (both downloads from the main website).
Not knowing anything on how to use it I randomly clicked on elements until the standalone demo froze/crashed.. recreating the error by clicking on one of the 'rendertarget'nodes (in detail - after clicking it - the menubar in renderwindow becomes accessible (not grayed out anylonger) I see some option from the node in the right window and it crashes)

I installed the latest Nvidia driver, update for cinema and all the jazz - of course - no change.
Then I installed Nvidia CUDA drivers with their CUDA devtools in hopes that's missing. after that;
- Benchmark still works fine
- the C4d plugin's liveviewer is now a white window without any display of gpu & ram data and now freezes instantly after pressing 'resend and render' button
- the standalone demo behaviour is unchanged

I attached 2 screenshot showing the logwindows hopefully displaying enough info.
Octane_C4d_Crash1.jpg
Octane_C4d_Crash2.jpg

Could someone please help me? Or give me hints at what I may try to solve that?

Best regards,
John
John Doe

Re: latest demo & Cinema4d Plug-in freezing

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 am

bepeg4d Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 am
Hi John,
you don’t need to install the CUDA toolkit under Win, only the Nvidia driver is enough, since CUDA is included.
You GPU seems to have no available VRAM at the moment, probably the Nvidia driver is wrong.

Please, go to Control Panel/Device Manager/Display adapters, and share a screenshot, thanks:
Then go to Control Panel/Nvidia Control Panel, press the System Informations link, and share another screenshot, thanks:

Please, also download and run GPU-Z:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
And share a screenshot from the Graphics Card tab, for the available Nvidia GPU, thanks:

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby John Doe » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 pm

John Doe Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 pm
Hello Beppe,

thanks for your time. I attached the screens you asked for. Good to know that I can uninstall the Cuda-devtoolskit.

Are there issues with some of the later Nvidia drivers? Since I didn't found anything wrong in terms of incompatibility or modelseries..
I don't understand the benchmark doing well but the applications freezing, isn't it the same renderer?

Octane_C4d_Crash3gfx_info.jpg

Well, I hope you can help me.
John
John Doe

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 am

bepeg4d Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:51 am
Hi John,
please try with this other demo version for c4doctane v2019.1.4-R2:
[Win](https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... R2-win.rar)

Then, please, go to c4d menu Extensions Console, (Shift+F10), and share a complete screenshot of the panel, thanks.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby John Doe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:54 pm

John Doe Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:54 pm
Hello Beppe,

again thanks for taking the time.
I did as you asked, attached is the screenshot.
The smaller one before loading anything, the larger one after loading the simple scene.

Octane_C4d_Crash3.jpg

hope that helps..
John
John Doe

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 am

bepeg4d Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 am
Hi John,
do you have more stability?
If not, since you have a Maxwell GPU, try to perform a clean installation of 419.67 Nvidia Game Ready driver:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverR ... 5534/en-us
To perform a clean installation, please follow these steps:

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby John Doe » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:13 am

John Doe Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:13 am
Hi Beppe,

thank you. I will try it using that driver later today.

Unfortunately the issues I described in the first post are unchanged (using the version of the C4dplugin you linked in the previous post).
John Doe

Postby John Doe » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:02 pm

John Doe Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:02 pm
Hi Beppe,

I installed it 'clean'ly not the one you linked but the Win7 compatible version of it.
Sadly no change :( neither the the sdtandalone demo nor the plugin you linked works. Still the white liveviewer renderwindow and the freezes.

Did another screenshot just in case there's information shown that helps you figuring it out.
Octane_C4d_Crash4.jpg

But my hopes using the octane renderer dwindles down .. it was my fav candidate.

Hhmm could it be helpful to test the plugin for unity in case its log could give more info?
John Doe

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 am

bepeg4d Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 am
Hi,
the first thing that must work is the Standalone, or OctaneBench 4.00c:
https://render.otoy.com/downloads/a/787 ... 0c_win.zip

But I have noticed that you have only 8GB of system RAM, I think that the minimum is 16GB :roll:

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby John Doe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:54 am

John Doe Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:54 am
Hi Beppe,

Yeah I know, like I wrote in my first post - my machine is weak, thats why I tried the benchmark first. (the latest, same one you linked)
Which worked well, thats why I started this 'journey' trying the C4d-plugin and the standalone in the first place.
The benchmark still works fine, tested it after every step you suggested as well.. and thats the point I don't understand since the benchmark should be the same renderer, or is it not?
John Doe

Next

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion