Octane does not render correctly

Forums: Octane does not render correctly
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Octane does not render correctly

Postby JoshNorman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:54 pm

JoshNorman Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:54 pm
I see, the image you are wondering about is a direct screen capture from a tutorial I am following along with. https://gumroad.com/juliengauthier#MSMRt

Looks like if I want the shadows on the object I will have to switch the kernel, I had already tried this but was wondering if it were possible with tracing (because it is the better render), it seems to not be the case though

At least I know now, thanks
JoshNorman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:15 pm

funk Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:15 pm
JoshNorman wrote:I see, the image you are wondering about is a direct screen capture from a tutorial I am following along with

Ah OK! This thread makes a lot more sense knowing that :)
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:25 pm

frankmci Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:25 pm
JoshNorman wrote:I see, the image you are wondering about is a direct screen capture from a tutorial I am following along with. https://gumroad.com/juliengauthier#MSMRt

Looks like if I want the shadows on the object I will have to switch the kernel, I had already tried this but was wondering if it were possible with tracing (because it is the better render), it seems to not be the case though

At least I know now, thanks

That's one of the downsides of an unbiased render. While you may like the look of the second render better, it is actually the less accurate of the two. The shadows you like are a result of the lack of light bouncing around the way it does in the real world. The Direct Lighting kernel does its best to fake that behavior with GI, which is a close enough in many situations, but not always. As Funk describes, he could get close to the look you like by reducing the number of diffuse ray bounces, which begins to approximate Direct Lighting.

It's funny how decades of extremely biased renderers have trained us to like/expect certain looks that are actually less accurate than the renderer creators would have prefered. :)
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion