Complex C4D Scene Freezing/Crashing my Computer

Forums: Complex C4D Scene Freezing/Crashing my Computer
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Complex C4D Scene Freezing/Crashing my Computer

Postby misnerp » Sun May 12, 2019 1:26 am

misnerp Sun May 12, 2019 1:26 am
So I've put a lot of time into a scene with a lot of moving parts; cloners, effectors, objects. The scene I can tell is very slow, I believe I didn't optimize it correctly with the amount of faces it has. I have multiple shots and when I first tried to render the "finished version" it began to render. Now it took about 15-30 min for the first frame to spit out but none the less it rendered. The amount of time per a frame went down to ~ 4 min. I wasn't happy about the render time since it was going to be 600 frames so I let it render out my first shot and stopped it. I decided to check if I needed to update my octane, which I did, so I updated. Hoping this solution would have quicker render times. I was wrong, in fact my whole system started to jitter. It gets to around 2 minutes of preparing on the first frame of the second shot and my whole computer just freezes. I've been trying multiple things to try and figure this out; from deleting certain cloners, to trying a different shot, to trying a still image, to copying all of it to another project, to messing with the render settings (I do have adaptive sampling on even tried it off) . Nothing seems to work. I even went as far as reverting back to the version I was originally on. Same thing happens every-time.

I could use some help on what steps I should take to get this thing to render out. I do use render to picture viewer when I render I'm not sure if this would bog my system down more. For the materials I used this pack:
https://www.thepixellab.net/pixel-lab-material-pack

I read that it's not actually octane materials. However my first shot (and test shots) still rendered out with them and they look great. Like I said before I tried to delete all the materials and try to render without and it still happens (however the objects are still linked a material with a ? mark on it not sure if that matters).

Any suggestions on steps I should take to solve these issues. Appreciate any help I can get.
misnerp

Re: Complex C4D Scene Freezing/Crashing my Computer

Postby misnerp » Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 pm

misnerp Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 pm
So I found out by deleting certain objects in my scene my issue lies in a cloner that clones multiple objects. Any idea how to optomize this? I have 12 different objects cloned in one cloner along a spline effector.
misnerp

Re: Complex C4D Scene Freezing/Crashing my Computer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 am

bepeg4d Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 am
Hi,
about cloner of cloners, have a look at this old discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=49067&p=243883&hilit=instance+of+instance#p243883
If not enough, please share an example scene here or via PM.
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion