How Does Octane Run with ONE GPU?

Forums: How Does Octane Run with ONE GPU?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

How Does Octane Run with ONE GPU?

Postby octanequestions » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm

octanequestions Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm
Hello,

I am currently building a computer and am planning to use a single RTX 2070, as this seems to be sufficient for my needs. I have heard some conjecture in regards to running Octane with a single GPU, however; I've heard that things can run sluggishly when using a single graphics card, as most of the GPU is used up by the live preview. Is it necessary to add a cheap secondary GPU just for the purpose of having a smooth live render preview? This function is really important to me.

Does Octane lag with only one GPU? I would be interested in anyone's experience of using Octane with a single graphics card.

Thank you!
octanequestions

Re: How Does Octane Run with ONE GPU?

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am

bepeg4d Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:45 am
Hi,
having a dedicated GPU is always the best option, also to not reduce VRAM by monitor resolution, but, if you have only one GPU, you can enable the Priority option in Preferences/Devices, to leave a little part of GPU for system/monitor/OpenGL, and avoid lags.
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion