Revit 2019 Octane 4 - Problem and questions

Forums: Revit 2019 Octane 4 - Problem and questions
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Revit 2019 Octane 4 - Problem and questions

Postby face_off » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am

face_off Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:27 am
Did you see this error before or is that my individual issue?
I have not seen this issue previously, so I am completely stumped as to the cause. If you could send me a screen capture movie, I might get a clue as to what is happening. I am sorry for the problems this has caused - it is generally very unusual to hit issues like this.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby JM_Koester » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 pm

JM_Koester Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 pm
Since this is a very unusual and individual issue, I assume it has to do with my setup.
I think we can stop trying to figure this out, I know how to avoid it and found that I can fix it temporarily (until closing and reopening the viewport) by switching the camera to panoramic.
No idea why this is happening, but I can live with that.

Thanks again!
JM_Koester
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JM_Koester » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:12 am

JM_Koester Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:12 am
face_off wrote:
3. PBR
I don't have a clue how and which information you can receive from Revits API during the export, but for the most part it might be a pretty straight matching.
I think it is very helpful if maps/values for the basics (albedo, roughness, transmission, normal, bump, displacement, emission, IOR and BSDF model) are transfered.

Opaque material should receive metallic value of 0 and metal 1.
Glazing materials seam to be transparent with a IOR of 1.0 and with fake shadows.
Layered material is not 100% clear to me yet, maybe it doesn't translate well, a metallic "Base Highlights" on top of a diffuse color plus clear coat. "Weight" in that case acts like metallic with it's own roughness value and the diffuse part doesn't have any roughness setting. It's confusing.
I will take a look at this for the next release.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,
can you make an rough estimation about the timing of the next release?
Best regards
Jan
JM_Koester
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 am

face_off Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 am
My estimate is that it will be available in the next 2 weeks.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby JM_Koester » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 am

JM_Koester Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 am
face_off wrote:
My estimate is that it will be available in the next 2 weeks.

Paul

Awesome!
That is much sooner than I expected.
I decided to stick with Octane, looking forward to it.
JM_Koester
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JM_Koester » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 am

JM_Koester Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:33 am
Hi Paul!

I tried the add-on version 4.02.1.58 and have an issue that the material node list is completely empty and right-click doesn't open up a context menu.
Materials are all white when rendering, therefore I assume there are no materials assigned.
2019-03-18_122956.jpg

From reading the change notes, I guess the PBR material conversion didn't make it in yet. Do you still think it will be implemented soon or did you experience any major issues?

Cheers
JM_Koester
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 pm

face_off Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 pm
I tried the add-on version 4.02.1.58 and have an issue that the material node list is completely empty and right-click doesn't open up a context menu.
Materials are all white when rendering, therefore I assume there are no materials assigned.
Hi. It is just o some materials, or all? Is it possible you clicked on the material from a reference scene?

From reading the change notes, I guess the PBR material conversion didn't make it in yet. Do you still think it will be implemented soon or did you experience any major issues?
I had a good look at this, and couldn't see any correlation between the Revit Physical material and the Octane Universal PBR material - they seem like completely different things. So, sorry, I don't think the Revit Physical material can be converted to Octane (unless I was looking at the wrong thing). Perhaps you could post some screenshots of Revit PBR materials and the Universal material it would convert to?

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby JM_Koester » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:54 am

JM_Koester Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:54 am
face_off wrote:Hi. It is just o some materials, or all? Is it possible you clicked on the material from a reference scene?

It's the demo version of the plugin btw.
All materials, I tried a sample scene, new scene and my own scenes too.
I can downgrade to the previous version and the materials show up again correctly.

face_off wrote:I had a good look at this, and couldn't see any correlation between the Revit Physical material and the Octane Universal PBR material - they seem like completely different things. So, sorry, I don't think the Revit Physical material can be converted to Octane (unless I was looking at the wrong thing). Perhaps you could post some screenshots of Revit PBR materials and the Universal material it would convert to?

Paul

Really? Maybe I'm wrong, but I will dig into it a bit more and post some information with examples and screenshots.
So far my understanding was that they basically split the principled shader into 5 separate shaders, documented here http://help.autodesk.com/view/ARENDERING/ENU/?guid=GUID-C8B55D63-2167-48FE-BBC3-F6C3758EE3EE
In general, even if we cannot have a 100% conversion, it would help a lot to at least convert some information.
JM_Koester
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JM_Koester » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm

JM_Koester Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm
I setup a test scene with one example for each new shader, though I think opaque and metal are most important, transparent usually doesn't have a lot of texture information, therefore I start with them.
I added an opaque material with alpha transparency as well.
The material on the text of the balls is all over the place, not sure why, please ignore it.
On a side note, why are the spheres flat shaded? Are custom normals not exported?

Rendered in Revit:
2019Materials.jpg

Rendered in Octane:
Octane_Render_01.jpg

Material setup in Revit:
Revit_Material_Opaque.jpg
Revit_Material_Metal.jpg
Revit_Material_OpaqueAlpha.jpg

Except the transparent material all materials convert to glossy materials with the same settings except diffuse color.
Octane_Material_Conversion_02.jpg
Octane_Material_Conversion_01.jpg

I will post tomorrow how I would assume the converted universal material looks like.
JM_Koester
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm

face_off Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 pm
I will post tomorrow how I would assume the converted universal material looks like.
Great work on this - thank you. If you could also post a .RVT which contains those physically based materials attached to the spheres that would help immensely.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion