C4D demo version doesn't work

Forums: C4D demo version doesn't work
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

C4D demo version doesn't work

Postby 62STARTREK » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:14 pm

62STARTREK Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:14 pm
Hi all, I would try the official demo of Octane but I get an error as you can see in the attached screens.
The translation is:
...................\plugins\c4doctane\Libs300_demo\octane.dll is not allocated to use with Windows or it contains an error. Try to reinstall the program from the original installation support or ask to the System Administration intervention or to the software developer
And C4D crashes. Any idea or any helps? Thanks a lot
https://ibb.co/f3AJzq
https://ibb.co/mzj6kV
62STARTREK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: C4D demo version doesn't work

Postby bepeg4d » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:25 pm

bepeg4d Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Hi,
better to install another time.
From the following links, you can download the latest Demo versions for Windows and Mac of c4doctane plugin v4 compatible with R20:
Demo Win 4
Demo Mac 4
You need to create the **plugins** folder inside the c4d R20 directory, since Maxon has has completely changed the behavior of plugins:
https://developers.maxon.net/?p=3157
It is also possible to place the c4doctane folder in the preferences/plugin directory.

The installation paths for Windows are:

- C:\programs\Maxon\Cinema 4D R20\plugins\c4doctane (You have to create the plugins folder!)

or:

- C:\Users_Your Name_\AppData\Roaming\MAXON\Cinema 4D R20_random code\plugins\c4doctane

The installation paths for Mac are:

- HD\Applications\Maxon\Cinema 4D R20\plugins\c4doctane (You have to create the plugins folder!)

or:

- HD\Users_Your Name_\Library\Preferences\MAXON\Cinema 4D R20_random code\plugins\c4doctane

Note that you need to remove from the c4doctane folder, all the unnecessary c4doctane-RXX.cdl64 files not related with R20 specific version, and leave only the c4doctane_R20.xdl file in ../c4doctane directory.

Please, download and install also the Standalone application (not the zipped version), since it changes some Windows registry optimized for GPU rendering.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby 62STARTREK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:38 pm

62STARTREK Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:38 pm
Thanks a lot for the help. I already have the "plugins" folder but if I install the Demo in this folder it doesn't work. But if I install it in the "plugins" folder in " .........\Appdata\Roaming\MAXON\........" it works :shock: . Don't ask me why. Ok, now I can test Octane v.4. Thanks again
62STARTREK
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oogino » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:34 am

oogino Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:34 am
I've had a similar problem, the Octane Demo plugin wasn't showing up no matter what so I went through the Appdata\Roaming\MAXON ... route, used that folder. And it still wasn't working, initially. I ran into a forum post somewhere where a few people solved their other plugin problems by re-downloading the plugin and doing the process again. I did that too because I run out of options. It worked.

So all I had to do is delete the original downloaded files and do the process again from the beginning. Download it again, extract, go through the Appdata\Roaming\MAXON route, place the folder into the plugins folder and there it is, success. I use C4D R17.

I thought this info might be useful for someone at some point.
oogino

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion