octane render 4 for revit

Forums: octane render 4 for revit
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

octane render 4 for revit

Postby jimho » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:18 pm

jimho Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:18 pm
Dear Octane team,
I am an experienced revit user(12years), but new to octane render, I've tried the demo for a short while, and am really interested to buy licenses, a few questions here I would like to ask before the purchase:
1, will octane render support archvision RPC in the new version of 4? (I understand trees and cars etc can use proxy, though without RPC, it seems "people" in the scene will have to do some Photoshop work afterwards, since the effect for 3d "people" is not very ideal... )
2,Is there a planed release date for the octane 4 for revit?
3,I have a workstation with multi GPUs installed, as I learned from your website, it seems only the paid version of octane 4 will be proper for it,there will be a free version but only support single GPU?
4, If I buy the current version of 3.08 will the license be transferred to the new paid version of octane 4? Will it be the same price or more expensive if I wait for the new version release?

Many Thanks,

Windows 10| Supermicro 4028GR-TR2, CPU: E5-2697 v3 x2 ; GPU: Nvidia 1080Ti x7+ titan V x2; 96G RAM

Supermicro 4028GR TR2|Intel xeon E5 2697 V3| windows 10| revit 2019 |Titan V+ Quadro GV100+RTX 2080 Ti
jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: octane render 4 for revit

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:01 am

face_off Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:01 am
1, will octane render support archvision RPC in the new version of 4? (I understand trees and cars etc can use proxy, though without RPC, it seems "people" in the scene will have to do some Photoshop work afterwards, since the effect for 3d "people" is not very ideal... )
No. The Revit API does not support RPC objects.
2,Is there a planed release date for the octane 4 for revit?
Shortly after the first full release of Octane 4.
3,I have a workstation with multi GPUs installed, as I learned from your website, it seems only the paid version of octane 4 will be proper for it,there will be a free version but only support single GPU?
I'm not sure - but the website should have the latest info on this.
4, If I buy the current version of 3.08 will the license be transferred to the new paid version of octane 4? Will it be the same price or more expensive if I wait for the new version release?
I'm not sure, but I thought OTOY announced that Octane 3 users will get a free upgrade to Octane 4 - but you would need to confirm this yourself.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jimho » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:17 am

jimho Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:17 am
Dear paul,
Thanks for reply.
Re RPC,
RPC is the default and official solution for entourage in revit, there is quite some RPC object included in the revit installation, It is quite interesting that Autodesk donot provide API for it,
Anyway, I notice in C4D, there is no need to use RPC , C4D support a single surface object which face rotated automatically facing the view camera, user can apply an opaque mapped material to the face which is exactly the same effect as RPC, especially for the people's senario.

So if we may suggest, is it possible that OC plugin in future could provide a single face to replace the rpc object which is roughly humans height and width and facing the view camera, then user can apply the figure by editing the material.
Guess this could be a solution to make it possible that the "people" be rendered in OC for revit which may be important for all revit user since the work flow will be greatly improved.
We really love to see OC4 for revit earlier. Thank you again Paul.

Regards,
Jim

Supermicro 4028GR TR2|Intel xeon E5 2697 V3| windows 10| revit 2019 |Titan V+ Quadro GV100+RTX 2080 Ti
jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:36 am

face_off Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:36 am
So if we may suggest, is it possible that OC plugin in future could provide a single face to replace the rpc object which is roughly humans height and width and facing the view camera, then user can apply the figure by editing the material.
Guess this could be a solution to make it possible that the "people" be rendered in OC for revit which may be important for all revit user since the work flow will be greatly improved.
Hi Jim. Last time I checked, the plugin already did this, although there is no provision to edit the material. A card is placed in the scene which matches the outline of the RPC object. This card is sourced from the Revit API.

It is worth considering, if you are using Octane for physically accurate renders, RPC object are very unrealistic, since they are 2d rather than 3d, and do not capture shadows correctly. So Octane users would normally replace these objects with a proxy human/tree/car OBJ file.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jimho » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:14 am

jimho Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:14 am
face_off wrote:Hi Jim. Last time I checked, the plugin already did this, although there is no provision to edit the material. A card is placed in the scene which matches the outline of the RPC object. This card is sourced from the Revit API.
It is worth considering,

Wow it is great to hear!

face_off wrote: if you are using Octane for physically accurate renders, RPC object are very unrealistic, since they are 2d rather than 3d, and do not capture shadows correctly. So Octane users would normally replace these objects with a proxy human/tree/car OBJ file.

Paul

In case of cars and trees what you described is correct, we have no problem will use proxy.
But in case of people RPC, there are 2 reasons it is still helpful:

1 architectural scenes usually quite big and may contain many many people, each of them may be small in the scene, though RPC is not perfect individually as you mentioned but good enough for architectural rendering especially when hundreds of them together (if not thousands). since they may small enough and not that sensitive for accurate, but in the scene, there is people or there is no people will becomes a big issue. Revit is for architecture, people etc are only entourage, RPC is real enough at the moment. it is different case with cars and trees.

2 3D people models usually do not look natural enough especially when the model size is small enough for an Architectural scene, this is different with the usage for CG games. Available 3d people models looking much worse than RPC for sure at the moment and I guess in the recent future (3-5years) the situation will still be similar. but in 3-5 years there is a lot revit user is looking forward to use Octane, but they can't if no RPC.

Thank you so much Paul!

Jim

jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 am

face_off Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:38 am
ArchVision does not allow for the RPC models and textures to be provided by the Revit API - which I understand is a licensing issue. So RPC support is not viable in the foreseeable future.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jimho » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:50 am

jimho Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:50 am
For which version you mentioned there is card provided? seems OC 3.08 plugin do not have it.
In revit the profiled usually crossed faces object is always there but when rendered in OC they will be disappeared.

Yeah Archvision is working with Vray.... if the opaque material and rotate face works, it would be not that important if API contain the texture or not, at least we can resolve it manually, kind of non official support, just to make OC work better for revit.

Without this support to RPC people, what I probably can do is that I need to convert revit scene into C4D find the right view, adding single rectangular surfaces with opaque mapping figures then export the faces and then import them into revit, quite complicate....
the advantage of OC is good quality and fast, but if every view need this kind of back and force, it will lose lot of its advantage....

Jim

jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

face_off Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am
The Octane plugin moved to the new Revit geometry SDK a few versions ago - which possibly doesn't provide the card. I appreciate that you really want RPC support in the Octane plugin, however that is not possible in the near future, sorry.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jimho » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 am

jimho Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 am
Paul,
The Key question is In architectural rendering there is need for entourage of "people", in current OC solution it is not resolved. If have to do the post work in Photoshop, as a render engine, it is not fully functional.
It does not need to be RPC, as mentioned C4D can do it easily, but what is the solution for OC for revit?

Jim

jimho
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:26 am

face_off Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:26 am
Use OBJ models of people as proxies. There are a few excellent libraries around.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion