Can't open Cinema 4D while Octane is in "plugins"

Forums: Can't open Cinema 4D while Octane is in "plugins"
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Can't open Cinema 4D while Octane is in "plugins"

Postby rBourcois » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 pm

rBourcois Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 pm
Hello,

I downloaded Cinema 4D R18 Student Version (R18.057) and I wanted to try some of the features Octane Render has to offer. So, I downloaded the fully integrated plugin for C4D demo version to try it out.
I then dropped it in my MAXON installation folder in "plugins". I deleted all .cdl64 files except R18 and then launched C4D.
This message box appears http://imgur.com/a/7TiUf (by the way, this says "This program has stopped working", in french)
I don't really know what causes that.
My pc runs with an AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series. I thought it would be because I don't have a Nvidia GPU, but I tried installing it on my laptop which has a GTX 1050 and it did the exact same thing.

Do you guys have know what's going on ? I'm kind of bummed out right now ... :/

Thanks in advance for your help !

Rémy
rBourcois
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Can't open Cinema 4D while Octane is in "plugins"

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 am

bepeg4d Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 am
Hi rBourcois,
sorry but AMD GPUs are not supported yet, but they will be supported soon.
About GTX 1050 in your laptop, unfortunately it scores only ~40, that is under the minimum value of 45:
https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/sum ... x+GTX+1050
Here you can compare with other models:
https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php
Try to perform a clean installation of latest stable Nvidia drivers.
Anyway, internal GPUs are already heavily tasked by system/monitor, leaving only few power and memory for rendering, so you can only play with very basic and simple scenes.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby rBourcois » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:45 pm

rBourcois Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:45 pm
Hi bepeg4d,

Thanks for your answer !
Well, I think I'll have to buy a new GPU or even a new computer, haha. Do you know when do AMD GPUs will be supported by Octane ? Maybe I can wait until then.
I'll check my Nvidia drivers on my laptop as soon as I get home.
Do you recommend having two GPUs on a computer to run C4D with Octane properly ? I was wondering if I could use two different cards, for example, a GTX 1060 & a GTX 1070, or if it had to be two of the same kind.

Thanks again,

Rémy
rBourcois
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:36 am

bepeg4d Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:36 am
Hi Rémy,
sorry, I have not an exact ETA about AMD support, and take into account that the first version will not be optimized, and there will need some time for this to happen, just like for Nvidia Pascal.
In general, it is always better to have one GPU for system/monitor (even weak), and one or more GPUs for Octane Render only.
In this way, total VRAM and power is not reduced by system/monitor, in OctaneRender the GPU with less VRAM determs the max VRAM of the system, because the entire scene needs to be loaded on each GPU.
So you can mix different GPUs with different VRAM, but you need to disable the card with less memory, if the scene is greater.
Anyway, you can enable/disable GPUs on the fly.
If a GPU is connected to monitor, you can enable the Priority option in Devices panel, to reserve a portion of memory for system/display.
In your example, you can connect the monitor to 1070 8GB, to have roughly the same VRAM amount of 1060 6GB, or connect the monitor to 1060, and disable it, as soon as you need more VRAM.
Happy GPU Rendering,
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion