Render Slave with 3DS

Forums: Render Slave with 3DS
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Render Slave with 3DS

Postby webeindustry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:34 pm

webeindustry Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:34 pm
I can't find a better forum channel to post this in, but by all means move it where it's appropriate. I want to give a touch of background before going right to the question. I'm a tech guy who is trying to push through the day job 9 to 5, and has been developing small businesses to see it happen. I paired up with an artist last year and we had a render farm hooked into 3ds with vray. I had between 200-400 xeon cores for him to work with (lots of selling/buying going on) and it was overall good enough to do very high quality renderings-- 8K stills, 360 frames animation in 1080 in 6-12hrs, 360 stereoscopic frames in 30-60hrs. I want to match that performance in octane using GPU.

The farm is gone, we went our separate ways for a while, and I'm reaching back out to him to continue where we left off. I just dropped $1,500 on upgrades to his rig, but think this will only get us ~50% of where we were. He has a 4770, so that's good enough, and I got him a quad sli (accepts 4 dual slot gfx at pcie 3.0 4x) mobo, 3 GTX 980 ti, and he has a 1050ti he can use as primary monitor low priority. We'll get results by end of week (parts will arrive hopefully by Friday or Sat), but I'm already trying to find a solution that fits our needs going forward. If we wind up swamped, then it'll make sense to get another rig and use "the cloud" in the meantime. I need more information to know which way is best on a second rig.

He uses 3ds, so we'll be swapping out vray for octane plugin here. I am concerned about using a slave machine to help render with the plugin. Here are my questions:

1) Is the 3ds plugin working without issue for slave/network rendering?
2) Is there any network bandwidth/latency concerns when using Octane 3 in this setup?

I ask the second question because I have heard some 10-30% reduction can be had when using x1 PCIe (splitters/risers) in Octane 3 vs 2. Will a 1GBe connection see this same limitation, or is the fundamentals different here?

3) What kind of multiplier can I expect from using an identical slave node with Octane 3 on 3ds plugin?

If I double up GPU within same machine, assuming no bandwidth PCIe bottleneck, I should get roughly 95-99% speedup based on the benchmarks I've seen. Does this hold true for a slave as well? Would I see roughly 2x or is it closer to say 1.8 or 1.5x performance?

Overall we're looking for a solution that meets time deadlines without sacrificing quality, and within his lifestyle constraints. He is with family in a house that has not the best internet, so using a remote farm would not be ideal. I think his upload is 1mbps and download closer to 8mbps, which makes for slow exports, difficulty using RDP (latency is around 50ms to my residence some 30miles away, for example). I want him to be able to tap two 15A power circuits at his residence, and have a good workflow, with workable render times.

If we can see a near doubling up of performance with a slave node without issue in 3ds, then I think we will try to make due for 6 months while clientele builds up, then get 4 gtx 2080 next Spring for a second rig.
webeindustry

Re: Render Slave with 3DS

Postby webeindustry » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:56 pm

webeindustry Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:56 pm
A quick follow-up, I scored nearly a mere 360pts with the 3 980ti the limiting factors must be cooling & perhaps CPU (dual-core G3258). My concern is a bit nulled out by finding an alternative.

I created a base os with hypervisor, 2 VMs one for windows a second for linux. RDP handles remote sessions for winblows, VirtualGL & TurboVNC handles 3d-accelerated remote sessions for linux programs. So I'll have multiple artists using a centralized rig from their respective locations on whichever program they like, and it also enables me to start looking into creating images to spin up on cloud instances if we need the extra processing power. So between all the options, limitations are basically gone regardless of which render engine a given artist pursues for a project.
webeindustry

Re: Render Slave with 3DS

Postby paride4331 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 am

paride4331 Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:33 am
Hi webindustry,
Using a network with Octane Render you should consider about its "speed" in general, processing power is multiplied for GPUs so 2x 3x 4x etc .. (e.g. 2x1080Ti 3x1080TI.. )
When the master starts render, it computes the scene, sends it to its GPUs and then to the slaves.
if your network is very slow, your file is many megabytes, your master has many GPUs and your scene is fast to render, then the master will finish rendering before slaves can render.
my example is an extreme case, but it is useful to understand how the system works.
So bandwidth is important to have effective scalability and slave support.
About the use of the Octane Render Network, it is very useful because the slaves work independently of the Octane Render plugins used by the masters.
The Difference Between Octane Render Network and Autodesk Backburner is using Octane Render Network all slaves and mater work together on single frame and work is not individually distributed to Pcs.
Regards
Paride
2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid / 3 x Evga RTX 2070 super Hybrid
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion