What is a recommended multi-GPU config for a PC build?

Forums: What is a recommended multi-GPU config for a PC build?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

What is a recommended multi-GPU config for a PC build?

Postby wabbits » Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 pm

wabbits Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 pm
I'm planning to build a PC for a Cinema4D / Octane. I'm considering getting three 1080s, however i'm concerned about overheating and noise. I also don't want to go the custom water cooling route because this is my first build. Would it be advisable to install:
- three Founders Edition 1080s?
- three after market 1080s and a bunch of exhaust fans?
- three hybrid/water-cooled 1080s? (eg. GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK)
- some other configuration?

My apologies for posting this in the demo forum but i couldn't think of anywhere else to post this.
wabbits

Re: What is a recommended multi-GPU config for a PC build?

Postby glimpse » Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am

glimpse Mon May 08, 2017 7:48 am
hi, Wabbits.

This forum is actually full of great advice from multiple users that already answered questions You have, but being not licenced user You might not being able to see those. So let's try to answer Your questions here:

- 3x 1080s founder edition should be fine if You have good case with plenty of positions to mount fans that would provide sufficient airflow.
- 3x Hybrids would give You way better temperatures + less noise. One thing to keep in mind is that You need a bit more physical space in Your case in order to mount those AIO radiators from each GPU. Just keep this in mind, as You need not only mounting places, but also that those would be withing the reach from GPUs. Temperatures from Hybrid GPUs would be way lower (somewhere around 45C at most) compared to 80C on reference (founders edition).
-as for alternative configurations. Why not to look at couple of 1080Tis on air with a bit of a gap in between? (mounting them in motherboard so those cards would not sit side by side). Yes You might have a bit less speed, but more VRAM, less cards (leaving possibility for upgrade in the future).

There's no good or bad solution. You just need to pick parts that would fit Your needs. When configuring the box simply try to provide enough airflow. There's little to no need to go watercooling route, if You're not filling Your box with four or more GPUs, but hybrid solution is one of better ideas for smaller (2-3 GPU) builds.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: What is a recommended multi-GPU config for a PC build?

Postby Lobo3d » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Lobo3d Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 pm
Hi Tim,
What are your thoughts about the MSI GTX 1080 TI Seahawk? I'm about to order a system with 4 of this hybrids in a Corsair Air 740 Black Dual Chamber case. Also, is a i7 6850k 6 core CPU enough to handle this power?
They are looking for a compatible ASUS motherboard because I didn't want a MSI.
PSU will be 1200 Corsair, 64 GB Ram.

I would very much appreciate your opinion ;)
Lobo3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion