If demo works... all is good?

Forums: If demo works... all is good?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

If demo works... all is good?

Postby fgillis » Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 pm

fgillis Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 pm
Hello Octane Support,

Have been away from Octane Render for several years, (since version 1.20), but am hoping to take another shot at using it in production, especially since there’s now a plug-in for Houdini.

I have a simple question, (but a long post). If I download the demo version (OctaneRender_demo_3_04_linux) and it works… is it guaranteed that the licensed version will also work?

I ask this because, as a lark, I tested the demo on a system that I thought it wouldn’t run on, and am wondering if the demo comes with embedded drivers or software. For example, the demo will not run without the included libtbb.so.2 file. What is this for?

The reason I thought OR would not run on my linux system is because I haven’t installed any official CUDA drivers, which I remember being a pre-requisite in the past. Perhaps the needed cuda files are now embedded with the nvidia drivers?

Have also successfully run the OctaneBench test (total score 130.64) by doing the following…
Download and install OctaneRender_demo_3_04_linux
Download and install OctaneBench_2_17_linux
Copy the “benchmark_data” directory from the OctaneBench_2_17_linux directory to the OctaneRender_demo_3_04_linux directory.
From the “demo” directory run… “./octane_demo —benchmark -g 0 -a score.txt”

Here’s some of my system info…
i7 CPU (from 2012)
EVGA GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Clean install of Debian Jessie
apt-get install nvidia-driver from jessie-backports (375.39)
apt-get install nvidia-opencl-icd from jessie-backports (375.39)

Anyway, am pleasantly surprised to have the demo version of Octane running on linux without the complicated nvidia driver installations of the past.

If this driver setup makes sense, I’ll purchase a license for the latest version of OR.

Cheers.
Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | i7 2600k | 16GB | GeForce GTX 1080 | Debian Jessie | Houdini
fgillis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: If demo works... all is good?

Postby juanjgon » Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 am

juanjgon Mon May 08, 2017 8:45 am
Hi,

The demo version and the licensed version are using the same core code and are deployed using the same plugin architecture, so if the demo works fine, the licensed plugin should work also without problems. The plugin doesn't install the NVIDIA driver to your system, so if it works it is because you have needed driver already installed.

You can download the latest demo versions here. If you have any problem, please let me know.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=60996

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: If demo works... all is good?

Postby fgillis » Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 am

fgillis Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 am
Thank you Juanjo,

Will dive into this later in the week.

Cheers.
Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | i7 2600k | 16GB | GeForce GTX 1080 | Debian Jessie | Houdini
fgillis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion