Volume Fog Maya

Forums: Volume Fog Maya
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Volume Fog Maya

Postby sachakogel123 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:01 am

sachakogel123 Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:01 am
Hi,

I am seriously considering switching to octane from arnold as reebus no longer supports Arnold for Maya however I am just having a few teething problems.

I am trying to figure out how to create volume fog to create god rays or rays coming through a window in octane 3 for Maya.

I added a sun/sky environment and set it to day light Environment then under medium I added Octane volume medium and no matter what I change I cannot get a volume fog to render, I get black or just washed out look but no rays which are affected by an objects shadows.

I also tried adding an octaneScatteringMedium and messed with those settings too and no luck.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great as google has not been fruitful for me.

sachakogel123
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Volume Fog Maya

Postby sachakogel123 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 am

sachakogel123 Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 am
Bump

Would really like an answer to this as I recently saw a tutorial done in Max where the guy showed how to do volume fog in Octane 3...
sachakogel123
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sachakogel123 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:13 pm

sachakogel123 Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:13 pm
I bumped my thread and you guys removed my comment about volume fog working in 3ds max. I think this is unethical and unprofessional.

I would like some help with my question and I am posting that I have seen the volume fog work in other 3d apps using octane so perhaps I am doing something wrong so please do not delete my questions.

You guys seem biased towards peoples questions in the fact that if the question doesn't suit you guys you remove the question. Its extremely unprofessional.
sachakogel123
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:54 pm

bepeg4d Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:54 pm
Hi sachakogel123,
sorry I don't have a direct example in Maya, but please look at this screenshot from Standalone :
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54581&p=278036&hilit=god+rays#p278036
Firstly you have to use the Scattering mebium node, not the volume node. Then you have to correctly set the Medium radius/Thikness expressed in meter, and based on the dimensions of your scene. Finally play with the Phase value to have a more or less scattered effect.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby hellguy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:16 pm

hellguy Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:16 pm
sachakogel123 wrote:I bumped my thread and you guys removed my comment about volume fog working in 3ds max. I think this is unethical and unprofessional.

I would like some help with my question and I am posting that I have seen the volume fog work in other 3d apps using octane so perhaps I am doing something wrong so please do not delete my questions.

You guys seem biased towards peoples questions in the fact that if the question doesn't suit you guys you remove the question. Its extremely unprofessional.

I have checked the Moderator logs for this topic and have verified that no action was taken to remove posts.
(If this is in regards to a post in another topic, please either email [email protected] or PM me the details so I can investigate further)

However your earlier comments were pending review due to the low number of posts from your account (the default behavior of phpBB to prevent spam), preventing them from showing up to other users.
This should not happen in future as I have manually verified your account.
hellguy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby sachakogel123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am

sachakogel123 Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am
bepeg4d wrote:Hi sachakogel123,
sorry I don't have a direct example in Maya, but please look at this screenshot from Standalone :
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=54581&p=278036&hilit=god+rays#p278036
Firstly you have to use the Scattering mebium node, not the volume node. Then you have to correctly set the Medium radius/Thikness expressed in meter, and based on the dimensions of your scene. Finally play with the Phase value to have a more or less scattered effect.
ciao beppe

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I am not authorized to view the link you sent me however I did try what you suggested and low and behold I have managed to get a little bit of volume fog appearing through a window in a box I created as a test. So I am very chuffed right now about this. One thing I love about arnold is the volume fog its second to none with regards to looks and ease of use. But now that I can get it right in octane, it makes the switch over allot easier.

Much appreciated!
sachakogel123
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:12 am

bepeg4d Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:12 am
Hi sachakogel123,
ops, sorry, here is the image:
IMG_0113.JPG

Another solution is to use a geometry with special specular material with index 1 and medium node with the same settings as the Environment medium node, but the camera cannot be inside the geometry, or to use a VDB volume as explained here:
https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/ ... og-system/
Happy rendering,
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby alicebobby » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:28 am

alicebobby Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:28 am
I appreciate your assistance. Regretfully, I am unable to access the URL you supplied me. Nevertheless, I followed your advice and, to my surprise, was able to get some volume fog to appear through a window in a test box I made. Thus, I am ecstatic about this at the moment. The volume fog is one feature of Arnold that I adore; it's unmatched in terms of appearance and usability. But it's much easier to convert over now that I can get it perfect in octane.  bitlife 
alicebobby

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:51 am

bepeg4d Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:51 am
Hi,
sorry, this discussion is quite old, please have a look at this document here:
https://help.otoy.com/hc/en-us/articles ... ew-and-VDB

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru