Revit plugin DEMO viewport omitting material texture

Forums: Revit plugin DEMO viewport omitting material texture
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Revit plugin DEMO viewport omitting material texture

Postby face_off » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 am

face_off Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 am
Have you thought of exporting the camera scene as an FBX and getting the texture from there?
Yes, I spent a month down trying to implement that solution.

I understand you want me to pursue this with Autodesk - but I have spend a huge number of hours going down that path and not been successful. This is 100% a Revit API issue. I have exhausted the possibilities of what I can do to resolve this issue. I am really sorry, but I don't think there is anything I can do to help you with this. It's something Autodesk need to address.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SamuelAB » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:41 pm

SamuelAB Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:41 pm
I have to say I'm a bit disappointing. Like I aid, multiple other 3rd party rendering applications are able to import materials through the API or the FBX somewhow.

The other problem is that I have no idea how to assign a material through the method that you propose. The UI is not clear and the user manual is not either. Would it be possible to show a quick video showing the proper way to bring in and scale the material that is not in the library?

Thanks!
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:21 am

face_off Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:21 am
Hi - the process for adding an Octane Image is detailed in the manual at https://docs.otoy.com/Revit_Plugin_Manual_HTML5/Revit/Revit_Plugin_Manual/Image%20(Color%20Image).htm?TocPath=OctaneRender%20Setup%20Window|Settings%20Tab|Materials%20Tab|Textures|_____3. In summary, change the node type of the Diffuse Pin to RGB Image.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SamuelAB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:52 pm

SamuelAB Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:52 pm
I'll give this a try.

I think what Octane should do is export to FBX, run the AMC Material converter and take the material from there. (https://www.3dstudio.nl/autodesk-material-converter)

Basically right now, I can go from Revit to FBX to 3ds max. Convert materials with AMC. Rotate all the lights because 3ds FBX import is still broken (rotate all lights 90 degrees). Then convert to Octane materials with 3ds Max Octane converter tool.

So, using the Revit plugin is more work for me to go from Revit to Octane than using Octane for 3ds Max. I'm going to cancel my Revit subscription, because it's a waste of time and does not actually hep Revit users to a smooth workflow.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how Revit light works. In all your posts you seem to misunderstand that there is a separate light geometry that we do not want to recreate. This "geometry" is created when Revit exports to FBX. I think many of your misunderstanding are the result of you not being a Revit user or being able to understand our concerns and worflows. You would gain from sitting next to advance users and seeing how they work.

I hpe that in a year or two the Revit plugin converts materials and lights in a way that is useful to us. In the meantime, I'll work through Octane in 3ds Max.
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SamuelAB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 pm

SamuelAB Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:37 pm
Hi Paul,

The Revit API for appearance assets has been implemented in Revit 2018.1.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-id ... 0463#M9697

This is amazing and unexpected news! Please do let me know when this is implemented so I can test it.
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 pm

face_off Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:11 pm
Downloading 2018.1 now - very exciting! Give me a day or two to assess how everything works and I will post here the results.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby face_off » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 am

face_off Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:25 am
I am unable to get the full file path from the API in 2018.1. I have left a msg at https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/allow-material-api-access/idc-p/7286274#M9968 - awaiting a response from Autodesk.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SamuelAB » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:40 pm

SamuelAB Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:40 pm
They posted a response. I also noticed this blog post:
http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blo ... s-api.html

Cheers!
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 pm

face_off Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 pm
They posted a response.
Yes, I am working on it - but need to make all the Octane 3.07 changes first. Will hopefully be done by the end of the week.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby SamuelAB » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 pm

SamuelAB Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 pm
Hi Paul,

Checking in o this a few months later. We've still not made a decision at the office about our standardized rendering workflows. I would love to be able to recommend Octane. Ideally, it would convert both materials sand lights automatically.

How are things going on your side for Revit?
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion