IGES/STEP import, projected textures, and resolution

Forums: IGES/STEP import, projected textures, and resolution
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: IGES/STEP import, projected textures, and resolution

Postby gristle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 pm

gristle Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:19 pm
Downside with exporting as a .STL is that it does not export vertex normals. Then the issue is having really big meshes when they might not be needed (to try and get around smoothing issues), or how the CAD package meshes the model. I know if ProE it can generate some really long skinny triangles which are fine for getting a SLA etc, but not so great for rendering. Especially with a blanket smoothing applied. From memory, I think SW has a more even mesh.
Win 10. Threadripper 1920X 32gb Ram GTX 1080Ti GTX 980Ti 2xGTX 780
http://ajdesignstudio.co.nz/
gristle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eobet » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 am

eobet Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:01 am
Not to forget that Autodesk Alias products also use this file format for importing/exporting to other CAD packages...
eobet

Postby NickB » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:43 am

NickB Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:43 am
Also an industrial designer.

I have always found IGES to be buggy as there are so many variations on it, but STEP is a modern interchange standard for solids that always gives good results. The CAD software I use will export to STL and OBJ, but requires quite a bit of tweeking of parameters to get good results. My preference would be for STEP, or ASICS SAT. As for paying extra, I would prefer not to, but would be willing to pay a small ($50 - $100) premium for SAT + STEP import.
Hackintosh: Mac OS X 10.6.3 / Win 7 Pro + GTX 260 + Core i7 860 + 8GB
NickB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby eobet » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 am

eobet Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 am
Wow, first to find this thread at the top of the Google search results ("Octane Step import") and then to see that I already posted in it 7 years ago. :D

A lot of things have happened in those seven years, but apparently not for Octane. I'm no longer a student and where I work it feels as if Keyshot has reached the end of the line and we're looking for replacements, but I just downloaded the current Octane demo and boy, I guess I'll keep looking. Talk about bare bones still... no import options... no material library... no user friendliness.

(Also, I just wanted to see if I could remember my password to this forum, haha.)
eobet

Previous

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion