Light Portals? and Unbiased thoughts.

Forums: Light Portals? and Unbiased thoughts.
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Light Portals? and Unbiased thoughts.

Postby nuverian » Fri May 07, 2010 11:57 pm

nuverian Fri May 07, 2010 11:57 pm
Will there be any support for light portals in Octane? I think we still get a lot of noise in interior scenes. (at least I do :| )

I'll be honest here. I am recently testing unbiased renderers. I never realy liked Maxwell. I believe there is too much for what it does and it's realy slow. Fryrender seems a bit faster and seems to be OK (don't know about Arion). Thea is a nice product and has a nice material editor.It's level of control inside the app is what I like the most in Thea.
Now, LuxRender has maybe the easiest way on materials, but it's terribly slow. The one I like the most seems to be Indigo. Easy materials and quite fast for non GPU. And by using portals its quite noiseless. But what I like in indigo is the distribution of light. A render seems to be more physical accurate than all the previous ones. I am no expert in such things, I am just saying what I see.

Of course it's needless to say that Octane is my favorite for speed, for price, for materials ease, but I am just comparing test renders here and trying to find what makes the Indigo renders seem a bit more accurate to me.
What do you think?
http://www.nuverian.net
nuverian.deviantart.com
---
i7 920 2.66, 6G RAM, GTX 660 Ti, Win7 64x.
nuverian
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Light Portals? and Unbiased thoughts.

Postby vkiuru » Sat May 08, 2010 7:43 am

vkiuru Sat May 08, 2010 7:43 am
nuverian wrote:Will there be any support for light portals in Octane? I think we still get a lot of noise in interior scenes. (at least I do :| )

I'll be honest here. I am recently testing unbiased renderers. I never realy liked Maxwell. I believe there is too much for what it does and it's realy slow. Fryrender seems a bit faster and seems to be OK (don't know about Arion). Thea is a nice product and has a nice material editor.It's level of control inside the app is what I like the most in Thea.
Now, LuxRender has maybe the easiest way on materials, but it's terribly slow. The one I like the most seems to be Indigo. Easy materials and quite fast for non GPU. And by using portals its quite noiseless. But what I like in indigo is the distribution of light. A render seems to be more physical accurate than all the previous ones. I am no expert in such things, I am just saying what I see.

Of course it's needless to say that Octane is my favorite for speed, for price, for materials ease, but I am just comparing test renders here and trying to find what makes the Indigo renders seem a bit more accurate to me.
What do you think?

I've noticed the same thing, Indigo has a certain edge to it.. it seems to give more refined lighting somehow. Or maybe it's just the noise pattern that fools the eye? :) Maxwell has a versatile physical sky which in my opinion should become standard in all renderers at some point, be it biased or unbiased. I liked Fryrender when it was in beta stage but just look at the renders nowadays, when using the physical sky model they all have a red tint to them.. both Fry and Arion. It's funny some user pointed this out on their Arion forum and the answer was that he was wrong since the sky model is built upon Preethams model it is correct and that's all there is to it, even though the red tint is very visible :P

I'm very happy with Octane. I use Vray at work daily and while it's by far the best renderer I've used when it comes to tight deadlines and customization, it's very therapeutic to use something as smooth as Octane for personal work :) If it wasn't for stuff like Octane I'd probably already had enough with CG after years of long working hours etc so thanks Radiance ;)
vkiuru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby SurfingAlien » Sat May 08, 2010 9:04 am

SurfingAlien Sat May 08, 2010 9:04 am
I think MTL will come first (beta 3 or 2.3 I suppose), then probably we'll have portals or some other kind of optimization.
but I'm pretty sure with MTL alone we'll see a huge speed enhancement for interiors...
let's wait and see... (just my 2c btw)

on a side note: I'm no expert but I'm not sure Indigo has the best portals when it comes to be physically accurate (from what I read here and there). sometimes it's very difficult to tell what's true (i.e. physically accurate) from what we like to see. If the client likes it, that's good btw :)
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sat May 08, 2010 10:37 am

radiance Sat May 08, 2010 10:37 am
SurfingAlien wrote:I think MTL will come first (beta 3 or 2.3 I suppose), then probably we'll have portals or some other kind of optimization.
but I'm pretty sure with MTL alone we'll see a huge speed enhancement for interiors...
let's wait and see... (just my 2c btw)

on a side note: I'm no expert but I'm not sure Indigo has the best portals when it comes to be physically accurate (from what I read here and there). sometimes it's very difficult to tell what's true (i.e. physically accurate) from what we like to see. If the client likes it, that's good btw :)

afaik maxwell, indigo, fryrender, thay are all identical.
they all use the same algorithms.

any perceptual difference in 'realism' is simply due to the fact that some have better artists than others, and indigo has quite a heavy gamma correction that burns out colours and makes it look more photographic.

octane uses the same algorithm for spectral sampling, and it's also unbiased, eg path tracing, but not as optimized as those yet, it does'nt yet have bidir-path tracing which is very good for interiors.
we'll work on that soon though, in a few months.
one cool thing is that the brute force GPU approach with pathtracing still yields a decent render time compares to a 4-5 year matured bidir-path tracing, so the future looks very bright.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby Chris » Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Chris Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 pm
Indeed :) Very bright ^^
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion