Texture baking..?

Forums: Texture baking..?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Texture baking..?

Postby realTimer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

realTimer Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm
Hi :)

I work with realtime graphics and interactive applications for a living. Usually, that involves a lot of texture baking when high-quality lighting is needed so I'm wondering if there are any plans to add texture baking functionality to Octane in the future?

The renders I've seen produced with Octane are just amazing so I'd definitely like an excuse to take a closer look at it ;)

Cheers!
Peter H.
Gigabyte GTX460 1GB @ 715MHz | Q9550 @ 2.83GHz | 4GB DDR2 | WinXP 32-bit
realTimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Texture baking..?

Postby radiance » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:16 pm

radiance Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:16 pm
Hi,

Our product is primarily made for producing renderings of products, architecture and animation.
We don't have any immediate plans to make it into a lightmapper,
we might do this in future versions, but we have a long list of prioritary features that need to be implemented first to cater to %99 of our users.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby realTimer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm

realTimer Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm
Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I'll stick around anyway :) It's been years since I made any attempts at photorealistic rendering - it's quite interesting that renderers like Octane, that take advantage of the GPU, are starting to emerge. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the new unbiased GPU accelerated renderers are able to do lightmapping...

Thanks again!
Peter H.
Gigabyte GTX460 1GB @ 715MHz | Q9550 @ 2.83GHz | 4GB DDR2 | WinXP 32-bit
realTimer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 pm

radiance Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 pm
realTimer wrote:Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I'll stick around anyway :) It's been years since I made any attempts at photorealistic rendering - it's quite interesting that renderers like Octane, that take advantage of the GPU, are starting to emerge. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the new unbiased GPU accelerated renderers are able to do lightmapping...

Thanks again!
Peter H.

Well, it's all about demand, we can't implement features for 0.1% of our userbase while 99.9% urgently need other features...
Maybe there are GPU based lightmappers available ?

Since lightmapping is directional, eg it does'nt involve specular and glossy reflections, eg only diffuse interreflections and reflected or transmitted caustics, it does'nt make much sense to use an unbiased renderer for lightmaps.
A traditional lightmapper/baker would suffice, with a radiosity like algorithm.
maybe there are radiosity based lightmappers for GPUs available already ?

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion