questions from the dark side

Forums: questions from the dark side
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

questions from the dark side

Postby kubo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 am

kubo Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:30 am
Hi there,
First of all I have to say you have really impressed me, this octane is really a nice beast, I've been toying around with a model I'm currently working on and It's really impressive.
Now, I'm almost sold, but I do have a couple of questions first:
Lights: in the homepage you say that area lights can be used, but it might be that I'm a bit dull at the moment, but I haven't been able to find out how to add an area light, I've seen the videos about skylight, and enviroment light but nothing on area light. Are they in front of my face and the octane doesn't let me see the forest? Are you planning on implementing them and some other light sources in the near (this is important for me) future?
importing: I've been having quite a headache exporting from my "beloved" max to obj, uvw maps don't seem to stay where they are told, I'm sure this is totally my fault so any help would be apreciated, plus a nice exporter script o plugin would be nice to add too.
Materials: Sadly enough I'm addicted to displace maps, I know you have normal maps, but they don't quite do the trick, any chance to have this feature in a not too far away future?
Well, that's all for now, but again, I've got to congratulate you on a nice piece of software you got there.
Regards
Kubo
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Re: questions from the dark side

Postby mib2berlin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 am

mib2berlin Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 am
Hi kubo, mesh light's will implemented in one of the next beta's. The features with a * will implemented one after another
in following beta's. For the max export have a look here. The normal + bump map's are still working.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=362

It is helpful to put your system spec's in your forum signature.

Cheers, mib
Opensuse Leap 42.3/64 i5-3570K 16 GB
GTX 760 4 GB Driver: 430.31
Octane 3.08 Blender Octane
mib2berlin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: questions from the dark side

Postby kubo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:26 am

kubo Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:26 am
thanks mib2berlin, you solved my export problem, now it's working fine, and I do see how I could implement octane in my workflow, but without the lights, it's not there yet. Althou it's great fun, and greater price so it could be worthwhile to get to play with it in the meanwhile.
I'll add my rig (which by the way it's like yours with an i7) to my sig as soon as I get some sleep, lol.
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion