Licensing question.

Forums: Licensing question.
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Licensing question.

Postby falcon76 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 am

falcon76 Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 am
Hi to all here,
and congratulation for the software. It's very nice and powerful.

I have some question regarding the licensing method used, before to buy.
Which type of license we have(node locked, flexible, portable)?
I need a different license for each operating system (right now I'm not at home and I'm trying with my macbook, but when return home I will use on a powerful windows based PC), or we have both(actually three ;-) ) but we can use only one per time (like modo, silo...)?
Sorry if already mentioned, but I cannot find in the forum.

Thanks for the support and for listen to the request of the users, it's one of the most important things I evaluate when buying a new software.

Regards
Luca
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTEL i7 930, 12GB RAM, Quadro FX580, GeForce GTX470, INTEL X25-M 80GB SSD, Windows 7 64bit
falcon76
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Licensing question.

Postby radiance » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:02 am

radiance Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:02 am
Hi,

The license is per machine. If you run multiple operating systems on one machine, you can do this with the same license.
If you have multiple machines, you need one license for each.

There are packs of 3, 5 and 10 licenses with a discount too.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby falcon76 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 am

falcon76 Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:44 am
Thanks radiance.
There is the possibility to change the license when I change the computer?
When there are more avalaibility of GTX470 I want to buy a new computer.

Bye
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INTEL i7 930, 12GB RAM, Quadro FX580, GeForce GTX470, INTEL X25-M 80GB SSD, Windows 7 64bit
falcon76
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 pm

radiance Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 pm
falcon76 wrote:Thanks radiance.
There is the possibility to change the license when I change the computer?
When there are more avalaibility of GTX470 I want to buy a new computer.

Bye

yes, you can request a limited number of reactivations. we review them on a personal basis.

Radiance
radiance

Postby archigrafix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:35 pm

archigrafix Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:35 pm
This "per machine" license system is in the air those times...
If I buy a soft it's not a gift for my machine but a tool for me.
I hope you are studying about a more friendly system. Minimum is a license that I can move from one computer to another when I need (even autodesk get this option!).
Of course octane is much cheapper than an Autocad but it's a question of freedom and a garanty when you work on very hard dead line projects.
We must be able to move from computers without moving the computer itself!
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:39 pm

radiance Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:39 pm
archigrafix wrote:This "per machine" license system is in the air those times...
If I buy a soft it's not a gift for my machine but a tool for me.
I hope you are studying about a more friendly system. Minimum is a license that I can move from one computer to another when I need (even autodesk get this option!).
Of course octane is much cheapper than an Autocad but it's a question of freedom and a garanty when you work on very hard dead line projects.
We must be able to move from computers without moving the computer itself!

we do allow this, as said we process them on a personal basis.
we just need to make sure that customers can't install one license on 20 machines for 20 users etc...
i'm sure you understand this.

Radiance
radiance

Postby jipe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 pm

jipe Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 pm
Makes sense to me; you have a right to protect your software! One interesting licensing scheme I've seen is used by Topogun:

A SINGLE license allows you to run one instance of TopoGun at a time. The license is bound to one person and can only be active on an unique computer at a time. In order to move it to another computer, you should deactivate it on the computer it was previously installed and activate it on the other computer.

A SINGLE license can be activated Offline or Online. Note that if you choose one activation method, you won't be able to switch to the other one.

The Offline activation method is useful when installing TopoGun on a computer that has no Internet connection. Still, you need to navigate to the TopoGun website in order to activate your license, but that can be done on another computer, using your computer's TopoGun activation request data.

The Online activation method is useful when installing TopoGun on a computer that has an Internet connection. TopoGun connects to the online license server and activates the license for the computer you installed it onto. In order to move the license to another computer, you should first open TopoGun and return the license to the server.

The Offline method appears similar to what Octane uses now, while the Online method would allow a user to transfer his/her license between computers instantly and seamlessly, but still protect the developer because you wouldn't be able to use the license simultaneously on multiple computers. The downside is that the user's machine needs an internet connection at all times. The upside is if some users need that flexibility, they could transfer the license as many times as necessary (e.g., between a home and work computer) without wasting any of the dev's time!

Of course, Octane licenses are cheap enough that purchasing a second license isn't out of the question. Speaking of which, I need to play with the demo some more...
jipe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 pm

radiance Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 pm
a lot of our customers use laptops so an online-only system would'nt work for them.
i think the current system is good, we haven't had any issues with it and no customers have complained.

Radiance
radiance

Postby jipe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:19 pm

jipe Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:19 pm
Hi, can't argue with that, especially as I'm now a customer (well, once my license e-mail arrives). Looking forward to rendering some cool images, especially with the upcoming animation stuff.
jipe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby archigrafix » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm

archigrafix Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm
Thanx for fast answer as usual Radiance...
archigrafix
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion