Private forum? Bad idea.

Forums: Private forum? Bad idea.
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Private forum? Bad idea.

Postby candide » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:31 pm

candide Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:31 pm
I understand the reasons for reorganizing the forums, but I agree with cecofuli that ideally everyone should be able to see everything, with only licensed customers allowed to post in the licensed sections. This would allow the support team to handle posts with the correct priority AND allow potential customers to evaluate the quality of support your company provides. This is important. I don't buy tools if I don't see an active and dedicated support for them and I'm willing to bet I'm not alone doing so.
Ich bin ein Octaner -- XP 32bit | Geforce 9800GT 1GB | Core2Duo 2.4GHz | 3GB RAM
candide
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Sam » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Sam Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:59 pm
I understand the reasons for reorganizing the forums, but I agree with cecofuli that ideally everyone should be able to see everything, with only licensed customers allowed to post in the licensed sections. This would allow the support team to handle posts with the correct priority AND allow potential customers to evaluate the quality of support your company provides. This is important. I don't buy tools if I don't see an active and dedicated support for them and I'm willing to bet I'm not alone doing so.

I need to agree with that point
More thread visible = more users answering their own questions by reading other threads = less work to moderate the forum ;)

AND allow potential customers to evaluate the quality of support your company provides

+1000, I know people on Skype who told me that the support was awesome
http://Kuto.ch - Samuel Zeller - Freelance 3D Generalist and Graphic designer from Switzerland
Sam
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bluescorpion » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 am

bluescorpion Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 am
candide wrote:I understand the reasons for reorganizing the forums, but I agree with cecofuli that ideally everyone should be able to see everything, with only licensed customers allowed to post in the licensed sections. This would allow the support team to handle posts with the correct priority AND allow potential customers to evaluate the quality of support your company provides. This is important. I don't buy tools if I don't see an active and dedicated support for them and I'm willing to bet I'm not alone doing so.

Same sentiment here.
I like to read issues posted by users of Octane (from both licensed and demo users) and learn from the issues raised.
Somehow with the reorg, I feel sort of alienated; and I find myself not visiting as often.

Perhaps on the same page, a public section and a Licensed section where non-customers can only post in the public section and for them
the Licensed section is a read-only area? That way Octane support team could still filter out the Licensed posts from the public posts.

Just my 2 cents.
MacPro 2.8Ghz Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon; 18GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT; Mac OSX 10.6.4
bluescorpion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FamilyGuy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:06 am

FamilyGuy Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:06 am
I also disagree with the new forum rules. The reason for which I started to use Vray was thousand of tutorials, free materials, and users ready to help you. Since Octan is not the most popular render you should be more open for new customers.
I will probability buy Octan but before that a would like to know what I pay for.
FamilyGuy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby cecofuli » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:15 pm

cecofuli Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:15 pm
Yep. For example, I buy VRayScatter by russian guy one years ago. O my good :shock: . The bad support in the World!
No answer to my question, to my test and bug I found. Bad forum activity.
So, radiance make all visible and only customers can write, like Chaosgroup forum.
www.francescolegrenzi.com
FACEBOOK
I7 920 | 24 GB RAM | 1x 570GTX 2GB | 480 cuda cores
cecofuli
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:00 pm

radiance Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:00 pm
Hi,

You can ask as much questions here as you want.
You can take part in our competitions, read our resource forums, post work in artwork forums, etc...

There's also not much point is saying support here is bad, i don't think our competitors answer every single post within minutes even on sundays.

If you want full support access, buy a license.
Anyways, this forum is for posting questions about the demo version, not for discussing the forum organization.
We have carefully decided that this is the way to go, and it's already proving much better for us.

Yours,
Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby meleseDESIGN » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:16 pm

meleseDESIGN Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:16 pm
I guarantee that you wont miss any news, issues, gallery pictures or whatsoever in the puplic forum.
Benefits of the License Customer's Forum is only that you will get access to download the comercial version of Octane there. That's all. No secrets are written there which aren't in the puplic forum as well.

If you have questions which holds you from buying Octane you can ask them in the puplic forum at anytime. I did it too. Before I bought a license I asked if Octane will be capable to render animation in the near future and if the license can be used for upcoming Versions, and it can.

2 days ago I bought the license, I activated it today and I have it running now right away without any issues. I didn't even need to install anything. You can run Octane even from an USB stick when downloading the .zip version.

It's just a great application and I can't recommend it enough.
Go for, ask what ever you want in the puplic forum and you will get the same answers as in the none-puplic area. I'm a sceptical person too, but really, here is no fool going on! Trust me.

Regards
Melese

;)
XP 64-bit | ASUS MARS DUAL GTX285 4GB Limited Edition | DUAL XEON X5570 | 48GB DDR3 ECC Reg 1333MHz
meleseDESIGN
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gpu-renderer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am

gpu-renderer Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am
it also better for search engines and the millions of possible keyword variations.... the more of them even if they are obsure and rarely used the potential is still there to gain futher awareness and more visitors to sales.

keep licensed areas closed off the rest let the world see it all.
i7 920 2.66ghz quad core, gtx 285, asus p6t, 6gb OCZ 1600mhz ram, Windows 7 64bit ultimate. Nvidia cuda Driver v3 Nvidia display drivers V193.13. Octane beta 2
gpu-renderer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Proupin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Proupin Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:45 pm
I think that this way is working wonders, the community is very good and support is awesome... you don't change what is working!! I didn't even notice there was a private section, but then it took me only a month to buy a license because I saw early this was a good product and you could feel the team responding even from the "demo-only" sections.

FamilyGuy wrote:I will probability buy Octan but before that a would like to know what I pay for.

Man, you won't ever find a demo version of any product that let's you do what Octane Demo allows you to do. It's the same product, but you can't save scenes!!! (for the rest, it's the same) try that with Vray Demo and you'll get watermarks all over the canvas. It's a matter of feel, do you feel is it a good software and responsive support or not?
Win 7 64bits / Intel i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz / Geforce GTX 470 / 8GB Ram / 3DS Max 2012 64bits
http://proupinworks.blogspot.com/
Proupin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby zemmuonne » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:58 pm

zemmuonne Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:58 pm
Proupin wrote:I think that this way is working wonders, the community is very good and support is awesome... you don't change what is working!! I didn't even notice there was a private section, but then it took me only a month to buy a license because I saw early this was a good product and you could feel the team responding even from the "demo-only" sections.

FamilyGuy wrote:I will probability buy Octan but before that a would like to know what I pay for.

Man, you won't ever find a demo version of any product that let's you do what Octane Demo allows you to do. It's the same product, but you can't save scenes!!! (for the rest, it's the same) try that with Vray Demo and you'll get watermarks all over the canvas. It's a matter of feel, do you feel is it a good software and responsive support or not?

Brazil v2 Rio is slightly better imho - it allows you to save and load in Rio (free) version, and load only if you load brazil full version scenes. The other lock is resolution (1280x511 IIRC).
zemmuonne
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion