Pin Texture to an object that is deformed

Forums: Pin Texture to an object that is deformed
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Pin Texture to an object that is deformed

Postby briggs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:28 am

briggs Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:28 am
Hi All,

I am thinking of switching renderers from Redshift to Octane. Love the software so far however I cannot find an answer to one major kink in my workflow with Octane.

I use a lot of parametric objects and materials mixed with deformed objects in C4D and I can't figure out how to stick a texture like I would in Redshift or just natively in C4D.
I have looked everywhere for an example or solution to this problem with 0 luck. This one kink would stop me from using Octane so I would love to know how to fix it.

I typically like to use triplanar in redshift but it has an option to stick the texture before deformation. There is no equivalent in Octane?
I find it hard to believe that there is no fix for this so if anyone could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.
briggs

Re: Pin Texture to an object that is deformed

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 am

bepeg4d Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 am
Hi,
have you tried to keep the c4d mat projection to UVW, and use the c4d Sticky Texture tag?

If it doesn’t work, please post a simple example scene that shows the issue, thanks.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby briggs » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 am

briggs Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 am
Thanks Beppe, that was the first thing I tried but it's when you introduce triplanar into the mix that the issue arises.

I have provided a link to a sample file, thanks!

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/87 ... 49c70543c6
briggs

Postby CooteJam » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:23 pm

CooteJam Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:23 pm
Just having the same problem, the pin tag works if the material is simple but if it is a mix or composite material it doesnt work and the texture slides all over the object.
CooteJam

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:26 am

bepeg4d Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:26 am
Oops, forgot this discussion!

Better to have proper unfolded uvs with deformed geometry.
With complex material, you can use the Baking camera to simplify it, and have proper uv-mapped textures to be sticked and deformed.

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion