[3ds Max] Newbie here! I have some basic questions

Forums: [3ds Max] Newbie here! I have some basic questions
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

[3ds Max] Newbie here! I have some basic questions

Postby darrenblack » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:32 pm

darrenblack Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:32 pm
Good day guys!

I subscribed Octane but somehow I can't post anything on the 3ds Max board so I'm writing questions here.

Since I barely find useful learning resources of Octane for 3ds Max, I have been studying mostly from C4D tutorials.
I have found some basic features that are not avail for 3ds max which I think are supposed to be supported...
It's probably because of my lack of knowledge, please let me know if I'm missing something!
Any solutions would be super duper appreciative! (I have been researching literally all day to figure out haha....)

My questions are,

1. In transform node,I can't control all axes' Scale uniformly (Like, seting one axis's scale and the same value applies to other axes as well)

2. In Triplanar node, there's no "Single texture" option. Which means, I should connect the texture to all 6 nodes (each pos/neg axis) of triplanar node
Let's say I have 6 textures to use (diffuse, specular, roughness, bump, normal, displacement), Should I manually connect all nodes like, 36 times....?

3. Is it possible to export AOVs passes in different folders? (In C4D, It's achieved by ticking "Folders" option)

4. Where's Render layer "mask"? by ID? I can only find Render layer pass which is not black and white mask but just fully randered cutout

5. How can I assign two materials on each side of a polygon? (Two sideded materials)

6. In Octane Render Viewer, how can I compare A/B images?

7. In Octane Render Viwer, how can I see pixel info?

8. Is there any ways to randomize Element's color(Hue/Sat/Val(Gamma)) amd UVW coordinates?
For example, Floor Generator or such as Tree's leaves meshes, It has lots of elements (Tiles, Leaves etc) in one mesh.
Octane has "Random color" "Instance range" "Instance color" nodes but all for multiple seperated objects not multiple elements in one mesh...
It's simply because a mesh has one instance ID
What I try to do is achieving randomizing elements with a material which has one bitmap texture as a diffuse map by shifting Hue/Sat/Value/ and UVW's transform of the diffuse texture map.
I know there's Multi-texture node but it needs multiple bitmaps.

Thank you for your time reading my post!
Cheers
darrenblack
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: [3ds Max] Newbie here! I have some basic questions

Postby neonZorglub » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:51 am

neonZorglub Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:51 am
Hi darrenblack,

Thank you for your questions and suggestions.

1. In transform node,I can't control all axes' Scale uniformly (Like, seting one axis's scale and the same value applies to other axes as well)

There's no such option at the moment. I'll try to add this feature in a future release. Currently you can just copy and paste one value to the two other axis..

2. In Triplanar node, there's no "Single texture" option.

That's right, sorry, you need to connect them manually. I'll try to add this feature in a future release.

3. Is it possible to export AOVs passes in different folders? (In C4D, It's achieved by ticking "Folders" option)

Not currently. I'll add some options in Kernel / Render Output settings in the next release.

4. Where's Render layer "mask"? by ID? I can only find Render layer pass which is not black and white mask but just fully randered cutout

in the AOV Scene settings dialog or in the popup menu of the Octane viewer window (most right button)
In the 'Info passes' section, there are both 'Render layer ID' and 'Render layer mask'

5. How can I assign two materials on each side of a polygon? (Two sideded materials)

You can use a Mix material, and set a 'Polygon side' texture in the 'Amount'

6. In Octane Render Viewer, how can I compare A/B images?

You can use the Render Region tool. The area outside the region will not be updated.

7. In Octane Render Viewer, how can I see pixel info?

There is no direct way. You can use the 'Port to max framebuffer' tool, then, in the new 3dsmax image window, keep the right mouse button pressed to see the pixel info.

8. Is there any ways to randomize Element's color(Hue/Sat/Val(Gamma)) amd UVW coordinates?

This could be archived by using an custom osl texture, modifying The Multi-texture osl.
You can find the current Multi-texture osl (after rendering a scene with it) in Preference / Tools menu / "Explore Octane Preset files" if you want to have a look.
I can try to create a custom osl if you can post a sample scene and some screenshot / expected result image..

I hope that helps.
Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: [3ds Max] Newbie here! I have some basic questions

Postby darrenblack » Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:28 am

darrenblack Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:28 am
Hello!

Fisrtly, I really appreciate your answers! It helped me tonnes!
For Randomizing topic, I will write down all needed fuctions.

Current Multi-texture node's limitations are
-It doesn't offer nodes for bitmaps (It just has Add Images button, all loaded textures will be in the list...) which means users can't modify bitmaps or use other nodes such as Color correction, Noise, Gradient etc
-It supports only object level. Any meshes in sub object level such as element meshes, they will look exactly the same even though I loaded multiple bitmaps (This could be done using Octane Geometry Properties modifier, but it would be way more straightforward chosing source ID in multi-texutre node with a variety of options.)

With 3ds Max, people can do literally anything they can imagine.
But in reality, most 3ds Max users are Archviz people.
Which means, there's always scenarios we should randomize things to make it look more realistic.
So please please let this workflow possible for 3ds Max...

Here the all needed fucntions.

#1 It needs "nodes" to be used as source maps for bitmaps or other nodes.
Also, when we load multiple bitmaps by clicking Add Image button, it would connect each bitmap to each node automatically.
The number of nodes should be controllable as well.

#2 It should let us chose which node ID will be used for using this material
Object Name
Particle ID
Object ID
Instance ID
Element ID (=Mesh Element)
Polygon Material ID (=Face Material ID =Material ID)
etc.

#3 It supports randomizing options
*Color Variation
Hue: From ___ To ___
Sat: From ___ To ___
Gamma: From ___ To ___

*Offset (=Shift =Move)
U: From ___ To ___ Step ___
V: From ___ To ___ Step ___
W: From ___ To ___ Step ___

*Rotation
UV: From ___ To ___ Step ___ (Step value is import here! For example, when you want to randomly rotate tiles every 90 degree etc.)
□ Random Mirror U
□ Random Mirror V

*Scale
U: From ___ To ___ Step ___
V: From ___ To ___ Step ___

□ Same as U (Uniformly applie same values to both U and V)

#4 It supports tiling option to get rid of repeating patterns
□ Random Tiling
U: ___ (Number of tiles(Repeating))
V: ___ (Number of tiles(Repeating))
Blending amount ___ (It blends borders of tiles)

Please let me know if it's possible!
Thank you for your time
darrenblack
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion