Octane for Blender Mixing Displacement

Forums: Octane for Blender Mixing Displacement
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Octane for Blender Mixing Displacement

Postby AL3X99K » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:58 am

AL3X99K Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:58 am
Hey all!

I'm trying to create some variation in my Ocean scene, and I've been struggling to find a solution to this.

Below is my node set up. The red is the pattern my noise and gradient texture is outputting to my mix material - and it is where I want my displacement to variate.

However, I can't get my noise/gradient tex to communicate properly with my Amount in my displacement MixTex - but when I unplug it and change the amount from 0.0 - 1.0 my displacements are fading perfectly between.

Is there something I am missing to get my noise/gradient to communicate properly with my MixTex?

Thanks for the help!

AL3X99K

Re: Octane for Blender Mixing Displacement

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:34 am

bepeg4d Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:34 am
Hi,
I’m not a Blender user, but, if you need to use more than one node connected to Displacement, or particular Projection settings, better to switch from Texture Displacement to Vertex Displacement.

Texture Displacement node is super fast and detailed, it is based on Voxels, but has several limitations:

- works only with image texture type nodes
- works well only with unfolded not overlapping uvs
- Motion blur is not supported
- it is dependent from image bit depth and resolution
- can give incorrect results with extreme values
- if you want to use other texture nodes you need to use a Baking texture node, before plugging the group of nodes into displacement
- cannot take advantage of RTX acceleration

The Vertex Displacement mode is no more based on voxels, but on polygon subdivision, so it is also accelerated by RTX:
https://docs.otoy.com/BlenderH/BlenderP ... ght=vertex

It can be used with both procedural, and texture image types, it does not have any projection limitation, so you can use the Border Mode to remove the Tiling effect, for example.
It does not depends from image resolution and depth, but only in the number of subdivisions, and you can mix together any type of nodes and plug in it directly without need to use the Baking Texture node. Finally, it works correctly with Motion Blur.

You can also connect two Vertex Displacement nodes to the Vertex Displacement Mixer node, to have even more control on masking.
https://docs.otoy.com/BlenderH/BlenderP ... tMixer.htm

Happy GPU rendering,
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion